Salt in freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I heard you could put salt in you tank so I bought some tank salt crystallized form and sinks. Are you suppose to use that kind or table salt? What do these do.

You shouldn't be putting any salt in your tanks unless you're treating a disease, like ich or ick. Freshwater is for freshwater fish, I'd keep it that way. I wouldn't use table salt either, it has iodide harmful to fish.

Most freshwater fish do not need salt in their water. Like bruins said, table salt is bad. The only reason for your average freshwater, tropical tank of tetras/cichlids or what-not to need salt is to treat ich or some other disease.
I am not totally sure what sort of salt you got, but I don't recommend using it.

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

I heard you could put salt in you tank so I bought some tank salt crystallized form and sinks. Are you suppose to use that kind or table salt? What do these do.

Hello Fishie...

I've used standard aquarium salt in my Livebearer and Corydoras tanks for several years and my fish and plants are healthy and thriving. If you do decide to use it, use only standard aquarium salt, kosher or canning salt. Table salt and most of the others have additives in them that can be harmful to your fish.

I dose a teaspoon in every five gallons of my water change water, which is a little less than the recommended one tablespoon per five gallons of water change water. If you want information on the benefits of using salt in freshwater tanks just go to www.bestfish.com/fwsalt

B

Back
Top Bottom