Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Salt Questions

Hi,
I'm wondering what the difference is between aquarium salt, sea salt, marine salt, and rock salt.
I think aquarium salt is for diseases, etc. in FW tanks and is not for making brackish water (though I have been told it would be fine for the amount of salt mollies like).
Is there a difference between sea salt (like the kind you can buy at the store) and marine salt? I've heard of people using rock salt in their tank, also.
What do people use in their brackish tanks?
Interested in all opinions!!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

aquarium salt does not contain nearly the amount of different/trace salts (and minerals?) that marine salt like "Instant Ocean" does.
I am currently cycling a 20 gal, starting fresh and moving to brackish, and will be using instant ocean. I have just heard it replicates the salt found in the ocean better, and that is what we aquarists are after-replicating natural environments (unless treating illness).
In all my reading, 100% of people suggest staying AWAY from aquarium salt if attempting a brackish environment.
HOpe that helps, I'm not sure about sea salt VS marine salt, or rock salt.....

www.ErnestJohn.com
workfortheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
Everything you ever wanted to know about salt: http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/salt.shtml

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com