Salt Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ichthys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'm wondering what the difference is between aquarium salt, sea salt, marine salt, and rock salt.
I think aquarium salt is for diseases, etc. in FW tanks and is not for making brackish water (though I have been told it would be fine for the amount of salt mollies like).
Is there a difference between sea salt (like the kind you can buy at the store) and marine salt? I've heard of people using rock salt in their tank, also.
What do people use in their brackish tanks?
Interested in all opinions!!

aquarium salt does not contain nearly the amount of different/trace salts (and minerals?) that marine salt like "Instant Ocean" does.
I am currently cycling a 20 gal, starting fresh and moving to brackish, and will be using instant ocean. I have just heard it replicates the salt found in the ocean better, and that is what we aquarists are after-replicating natural environments (unless treating illness).
In all my reading, 100% of people suggest staying AWAY from aquarium salt if attempting a brackish environment.
HOpe that helps, I'm not sure about sea salt VS marine salt, or rock salt.....

Back
Top Bottom