Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt, Salt, or Salt? oh and PH

Is there a safe replacement for aquarium salt? Rock salt, canning salt or any salt that is not iodized? I have used and paid the price for aquarium salt and with getting ready to set up 2-3 more tanks, is there a safe, inexpensive alternative to aquarium salt?

Also, my PH is raising, is now 7.6-8 and I was wondering what might be causing it. I recently removed the undergravel filter and wound up with an invasion of snails from outerspace, a PH spike and an ammonia build up. The ammonia is being controlled with water changes 3 times a week but the PH is staying high. Could this be from smashing the small snails? Could it be an after affect from removing the undergravel filter, coud it be from the melafix treatment for my C. trilineatus? Is there something else that could be causing it?

Old 05-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Aquarium salt is about the least expensive additive that goes into your tank so I'm confused. A pint of Dr. Wellfish's aquarium salt is less then $2.00 and can last months depending on how much you use which shouldn't be all that much. I wouldn't use anything but aquarium salt....it's cheap and safe.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andos99
I wouldn't use anything but aquarium salt....it's cheap and safe.
That doesn't really answer the question. The question is whether there is anything CHEAPER and still safe.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. Aquarium salt is nothing more than non-iodized salt. Any Kosher salt will be fine.
It's much less expensive and you should be able to find it in any supermarket.

Your pH might be rising from outgassing of CO2 following the wc. Have you tested your tap water after letting it stand for 24 hours?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I pay $3.85 per one pound container here from my LFS. I go through 1-2 of them a month so it adds up and I only have 2 10 gallon tanks and a 2.5 gallon. Between removing the undergravel filters and regular water changes it has eaten up a lot of it very quickly. I can't imagine how much a person goes through that has 15+ tanks averaging 20 gallons or more. When I can buy 5 pounds of kosher salt for $1.78, it really helps on a tight budget and the fact I am going to be running 3 more tanks, another 10, a 20 and a 55 so it will go fast.

I will have to try that with my tap water but it has been neutral in all tests before, and that was weeks of sitting. My LFS insists on testing it every time I have a problem and this is the first time since I set them up 8 months ago that it has been off. But who knows, might just a change in the water since the heavy rain.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What tank are you using so much salt in? I don't put salt in any of my tanks except if it has ich.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
I was just gonna ask the same thing. There is absolutely no need for salt in a FW tank, except for medicinal purporses.

Read: http://www.aquasource.org/CMS/module...rtid=54&page=1

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

wrong forum maybe?
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct forum, the fish in the sig. are "freshies".
Old 05-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I held off from saying this too, because some people are down right fanatical about it...but I've never seen a valid, scientifically proven argument, for adding aquarium salt to a freshwater tank on a regular basis. I could go along with mollies wanting a little salt, but for the other FW species...salt shouldn't be needed, unless they're suffering from nitrite poisoning or ich.

therefore my advice is to quit with the salt and use the money for something beneficial.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com