salt to fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75 gal still running salt water .what do i need to do to switch over to fresh

clean anything your going to switch over REALLY REALLY well because anything more than trace amounts of salt can kill the freshwater fish

what about the bio wheels,i would think i could use them as long as i rinse them or am i wrong?what about the coral sand?

what is substrate?don't tell me its the new coral sand i just paid a hundred dollars for?

i didn't know that coral substrate was that expensive. bye bye sand.

dwint said:
what is substrate?don't tell me its the new coral sand i just paid a hundred dollars for?

Sorry but yes. The coral will cause the pH to increase. IMO you really need something inert like gravel or PFS. (It really depends what fish you are planning on keeping. If you want cichlids that require high pH you may be able to use it.)

i really dont no what i have.the lfs said it was live coral i thought.maybe good for salt but not fresh?it looks like super tiny shells if that makes sense

its difficult transitioning from SW to FW because you're starting all over with substrate and decor. then you have to tear down your tank and give everything a good rinsing. with plastic decor, you can try to rinse really well (extremely thoroughly). stuff like coral and sand is impossible to rid all salt content.

This will be an extremely tough project.

ok thanks,i decided to try out my lusk with the lion fish and a foxface

Back
Top Bottom