Saltwater to freshwater tank conversion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know...I know..I'm doing it backwards. I have been in saltwater for about 13 years and to be honest, I have gotten bored with it. Its the same fish...the same coral...nothing new. So, I'm thinking I want to convert my 175 gallon bow front to a kick azz discus tank. This is what I currently have. Tell me if anyone thinks that I may need something else. (I cant imagine what I might need, but I wanted to ask)

175 gallon bow front, with overflows
45 gallon sump
protien skimmer (which i understand is useless in freshwater)
Two 175 watt metal halide lights
Two 110watt VHO actinic 20k lights
And a sub-heater.

I want to use flag stone to create a multi-level shelf (about a foot high and varying depth) along the back of the tank. I have found a web site that shows how to attach thin flag stone to the glass of the aquarium....And I have a very large piece of driftwood that will just fit inside the tank.

I would like some opinions and suggestions from those who have attempted that kind of thing please!

Thanks in advance :D

your 03 light will be not too usefull except to highlight the colors on the fish (it looks good on green fish IMO)
How MH will transfer over to FW I have no clue what the PAR value twoard FW plants would be.. you might have a high light high tech tank with less watts if the light output is high enough.. or an algae farm without plants.. It might depend on the kelvin of the MH bulbs your using.. are they 10K or the higher K value ones like 14 or 20K? 10K would work fine for FW plants IMO..
I would recomend the discus discussion thread here in FW general discussion if discus is on your mind.. :p
and yes.. you heard correctly.. the skimmer isnt going to work in FW..

Thanks! I'm in the middle of reading the Discuss thread now. Its gonna take a little while. I'll check out that plant thread too.

The lights are 20k's

Back
Top Bottom