Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griffdan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told silica sand is ok in the tropical fish tank. Anyone know different? I will be setting up a new tank 120 gallon and I am considering sand. I have fluval filtration with community fish. I'm in the Eugene, Oregon area.

Dont know. Just want to bumb up the thread so you can hopefully get more answers. BTW: welcome to AA. Why dont you go introduce yourself so we can know a little about you.

Silica sand is fine in all fish tanks. It's contribution to algae is widely debated in both fresh and saltwater. There are plenty who use it esp freshwater.

I use sand in all my tanks from my local river, all I did was let it sit outside and dry, and washed it a bit to get any twigs or leaves out of it. Then I put it in my tanks. All my fish love it, also it looks very natural in my tanks.

Well we had a flood and had prob. half of the rivers sand above ground, REALLY BAD FLOOD.

I didn't get hit but all roads out of my little neighborhood type thing were blocked for three days. So I had TONS of sand to get. I don't know where you would get sand.

I suggest buying some of this Black moon sand stuff I just bought for the one tank I have left without sand. I bought it from big als aquarium store online, fine grain black sand. Looks great in aquariums.

Did you have any bad bacteria or side effects not good for the tank? Since my tank will be really big, and it will have community cichlids and other fish that will work with them, some sand on the bottom would be good. I was thinking about 1" and have other stuff underneat it. Corys and plecos probably would like sand. Easier on the snout.

no on the sea sand...sterilizing is a bad idea...I have not heard of many instances of people using foriegn contaminents in their tanks and having good results. besides...coastal anything in a freshwater tank is a very bad idea.

just go buy a 50lb bag of pool filter sand...its silica sand...its $5-$20 depending on where you buy it. hardware and pool/spa supply stores have it.

silica is alot safer on your pumps too...its not as coarse as much of the junk you can buy at fish stores or grab off the beach.

p.s. if you are using it for cories, be VERY carefull...silica wont mess with them, but coarse sand can erode their barbels.

Nope, had nothing wrong with it. They sell this really cool cichlid type sand, I bought it for my 60 gallon cichlid setup. It's black and white and it's really cool and fine grain.

The cichlids love it and the pleco does too. In my 55 gallon I got the river sand and you see little dents in the sand all the time from the cories diggin in it. Cories will love it.

I suggest not mixing anything with it. I thought I would to, then after only a couple of weeks I hated the mix and had to take all the gravel out, TOOK FOR EVER! I suggest no mixing at all. Just get your sand and put it in and leave it.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I figure it is easier to find out how someone else did rather than make a big mistake and have to undo it. How deep did you have the sand? I have a fluval filtration. Will that be a problem? I am guessing that the sand stays put on the bottom and isn't sucked into the filter right?

Ok, I can do that. How deep would you suggest the sand is? My tank is a 125 gallon fresh water tank when I get it set up. Is 2 inches a good depth?

Back
Top Bottom