Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright. So i want white sand substrate and i cant find any places that have it. I mean.. white or regular colored sand either is fine. Also, what kind of sand can i use for tropical freshwater? Would using aragonite sand for tropical freshwater be bad? I've freakin looked at all my close by pet stores and NONE have white freshwater sand.. and its getting annoying. Please.. i need some guidance on this.. i cant continue my cycling unless i have the substrate :/

Yeah well if i go there.. what kind of sand would i be looking for?

I believe play sand and pool filter sand are what you're looking for and you're goign to want to rinse them well.

I would go with pool filter sand (I did) it's quite a lot cleaner the the play sound mine took no time at all to rinses off and the play sound was not impressive to say the least.

Also.. where the **** can i buy pool filter sand. It looks really nice and i want to buy it.. but i cant even find any online or in-store stores.. Seriously.. does anyone know what in-store stores sell pool filter sand???

Well.. not that i really know of lol.. But im sure i can find one. I live in jersey.. so do to the cold weather we get ALOT.. not many homes here have pools.. cept for the homes that cost millions with alot of space lol.. idk ill look around. Thanks.

Well.. not that i really know of lol.. But im sure i can find one. I live in jersey.. so do to the cold weather we get ALOT.. not many homes here have pools.. cept for the homes that cost millions with alot of space lol.. idk ill look around. Thanks.
Go to home depot 99% of the time the pool filter sand is next to the play sand along with the paving stones and rocks, if you can find those the pool filter sand should be very near by.

Well thank you so much for the information man. Luckily i forgot that my school teacher owns his own pool maintenance company. How ironic is that. He got me a 50lb bag of the sand for 3$. Shows how lucky i was :/ Not that i'll ever use 50lbs lol but just backup incase i setup a another tank. Which i know i will haha.

Well thank you so much for the information man. Luckily i forgot that my school teacher owns his own pool maintenance company. How ironic is that. He got me a 50lb bag of the sand for 3$. Shows how lucky i was :/ Not that i'll ever use 50lbs lol but just backup incase i setup a another tank. Which i know i will haha.
Congrats on finding it and at a great price, and I have about 100 pounds rinsed and ready to go in a rubbermade container just in case.:D Glad I could help if you were referring to me.

Yep, you and the other guy. (im on the second page and i forgot his name lol)

I used "High Desert" sand that I found at Home Depot. Its white, with some brown/black specks in it. My fish and shrimp are fine with it.

Yeah.. i just got the pool filter sand in my tank with everything running and its amazingly nice. When the PFS is in the bag it really does look like dark play sand.. but when its not moving at the bottom of the tank and theres water over it.. the color of it gets a heck of alot lighter. It pretty much looks like a light topical beach sand. I think its really beautiful.. plus its easy as **** to clean.

Back
Top Bottom