Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am really liking the looks of sand and want to use that for my next tank and probably switch my current tank some time. Where is the best place to buy sand? I am thinking about pool filter sand as that is what most folks seem to like from what I have read here.

Also, do you need to buy about a pound per gallon of tank?

I would definitely choose pool filter sand over play sand. I have no experience with pool filter sand, but it looks to be a lot less fine than play sand. I'm personally getting sick of the play sand because I can't seem to keep it out of my filter, so I'm probably going to switch to pool filter sand sometime in the near future.

i got most of my pfs at meijer for $1.99 a bag... its like $9 a bag at leslies pool supply. home depot supposedly carries it, but i've never seen it at mine

for a normal sized tank (20g, 30g, 55g, etc) its usually about a pound per gallon. it took one bag for my 55g's and 3 bags for my 150g for about 2" average depth

i got most of my pfs at meijer for $1.99 a bag... its like $9 a bag at leslies pool supply. home depot supposedly carries it, but i've never seen it at mine

So you need to go to a pool supply store rather than a place like Menard's or Lowe's? I'll have to check around Cedar Rapids to see what we have for pool supply places.

well, im not sure if you have meijer up there or not, but if you dont, its like walmart (except no smily face or old men greeting kids at the door)... but a pool supply will surely have it if you cant find it elsewhere... btw, if you do have to go to a pool supply store, tell them why you're getting it. you'll get some pretty weird looks ;)

well, im not sure if you have meijer up there or not, but if you dont, its like walmart (except no smily face or old men greeting kids at the door)... but a pool supply will surely have it if you cant find it elsewhere... btw, if you do have to go to a pool supply store, tell them why you're getting it. you'll get some pretty weird looks ;)

:ROFLMAO: So a Wal-Mart will carry pool filter sand?

well, walmart might, though i've never seen it there. they do carry pool supplies, so it may vary from store to store... check around at your hardware stores. ace hardwares website says they carry it. i thought i would never find any then i just happened upon it at meijer that day. you wont regret it wherever you get it. i love mine!

Back
Top Bottom