Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplanner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Or my upcoming set up of a 29 gallon tank, I would like to delegate a vote of sand vs gravel, how many pounds of the substrate just for plants, please read my other threads as it will help you decide for the fish in choosing which are tiger barbs, a bn pleco, and some cories. I have mopani wood and planning to get some java ferns and anubius.

For corys you should definitely choose sand. I wish I had known this before I set up my first tank.

For live plants you'll want at least 3 inches of sand if I'm not mistaken.

I heard that sand could cause toxic trapped gases in them, is it true, if so, what can I do to avoid it, will my other fish like sand and how many pounds of substrate should I place in?

That's really only an issue in saltwater application.

I have cories in a 29g planted tank with pool filter sand. I can't recall exactly how much I used in the tank, but I bought a 50 lb bag and I know I didn't use all of it.

I stir my sand with a long wooden spoon before I do water changes to make sure I don't get pockets of trapped gases. I've not had any problems with sand and the cories love it.

I used to use small, smooth pea gravel in my tanks and switched to sand in the larger tanks earlier this year. It's much easier to keep clean than the gravel.

So if I do water changes, I turn off the filter or leave it on while I'm stirring the sand, how often, an what gas is in it?

aquaplanner said:
I heard that sand could cause toxic trapped gases in them, is it true, if so, what can I do to avoid it, will my other fish like sand and how many pounds of substrate should I place in?

Toxic gas can happen but it really doesn't pose a threat. It builds as an air bubble so when it comes up it pops at the top of the water witch releases it in the air not the tank. But its still a good idea to stir up the sand every so often to release them.

For your sand you should need 30-35 pounds

Thanks could you please answer my shrimp thread if you could since no one is?!:) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom