Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been told that either playground sand or pool filter sand is a cheaper alternative to buying sand from a petsmart or lfs. So I went out and bought sancrete play sand from lowes, someone told me that it's bad for fish because there's concrete in it. Is it true?

I have quickcrete play sand in my tanks with no problems just rinse very throughly until the water is clear you can do so in a bucket or rubber maid tote and you'll be good to go

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read on here that black blasting sand could be used too. I had already bought black sand from lfs. The black really makes plants and fish pop. Just another option. I think 50lbs was $10 at tractor supply store.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Certain concrete can be dissolved by salt water. Not really an issue for freshwater. If possible, take a dropper with some vinegar and if it doesn't bubble, you're good.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used the Ace Hardware pool filter sand and it's been perfect and very clean to begin with. They'll ship it to the store of your choice, cost about $12 bucks. Very nice cream color and the fish--including corys--love it.

I used the Ace Hardware pool filter sand and it's been perfect and very clean to begin with. They'll ship it to the store of your choice, cost about $12 bucks. Very nice cream color and the fish--including corys--love it.
I second this (y)

All sand is NOT equal

Don't buy that Lowe's stuff, this is good sand for an aquarium. It is coarse, sharp and clean...and it has a good look

I have the Black Blasting sand in one tank. Plants and fish are fine !
Old pic....
8eva6ehe.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really liking the black sand, if only I could find it near me. If I cant I'll just go buy the pool filter sand from ace hardware down the road

I have pool filter sand, and I love it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also have the PFS from ace hardware. It's great! It settles right away so when my fish go crazy I'm not worried about it getting kicked up in the filter. The cleanest of sands I've had anyway (rinsing beforehand). Here's a pic with lights off and on... Nice natural looking sand. I do like black sand too, however :)

Also, my local Ace doesn't carry it, had to order it online with free ship to store and took about a week...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400592592.207986.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400592647.457635.jpg

That pfs is really nice looking, you had a similar setup to what I'm doing. Cory cats and rasboras

Yeah it's pretty natural, and perfect coloring when lights are off too! I have a large school of rainbows, Rasboras, pictus cats, Cory cats, BN and pair of Bolivians. Pretty peaceful tank! Now I just gotta get into live plants lol!

Back
Top Bottom