Sand and live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just bought some sand from a LFS and he claimed that plants don't grow in a sand substrate! Although he was very knowledgeable in certain areas I can't see this bring nothing shirt of baloney.

This will be my first sand substrate. Any advice appreciated.

Lol, plants will grow fine in it. Just use root tabs if you plant any heavy root feeders. Though me being the tight wad I am I have never bought sand from a LFS. I always get pool filter sand, as it's cheaper, and fits my needs. I would start off by washing the sand in a 5 gallon bucket a few times and you should be good to go.

Ok well thanks for that. I've just realised that it's not actually sand I picked up but superfine gravel. Does the same apply with the root tabs?

Lol on the LFS "advice". Just so you know what you can look forward to, here's a picture of my "jungle" I have plain old Petco black sand. I use root tabs, Flourish Comprehensive, and Flourish Excel. My tank is 7 months old and I have to trim my plants at least once a month. Sand is a great planting medium, but as noted root tabs and fertilizers are a must. Btw, I add my root tabs every 2 months.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 60
Lol that is wild but I love it. I love natural aquariums. As posted above the sand is actually gravel but really fine and it's for a cichlid tank so I don't even think there is any point in having live plants. I don't even know why I started this thread lol. I think it was because it was outrageous advice.

Thanks guys

It probably stems from the idea that sand isnt a particularly beneficial planting medium. Plants do grow in it though, it can be seen in nature all over, even if it's not all that optimal.

It probably stems from the idea that sand isnt a particularly beneficial planting medium. Plants do grow in it though, it can be seen in nature all over, even if it's not all that optimal.

Java fern and annubias growing fine in my tank with sand no fertilizer or root tabs ever. Stuck with t5 lighting on this tank right now

Back
Top Bottom