Sand and Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 3 fancies in 55 gallons with white sand and I haven't seen a turd in who knows how long. I do 50% changes each week and have a Top Fin 20 and 75 HOBs. I'm starting to think my fish don't poop.

I have 3 fancies in 55 gallons with white sand and I haven't seen a turd in who knows how long. I do 50% changes each week and have a Top Fin 20 and 75 HOBs. I'm starting to think my fish don't poop.

Ever since I added the 900gph circulation pump to my 55 wich houses 22 cichlids 2 loaches and a pleco I have been thinking the only fish in my tank that still poops is the pleco. Lol

And yes back right corner facing front and a bit left or what I did with my cichlid tank was put it on the side glass about 1/4 way down aiming at the bottom front corner opposite the pump. And Im not sure how much would be too much for a planted tank.

With my first attempt at a sand aquarium I used a white silica sand to put with my cichlids in my 55. At first the poo was completely horrible and everywhere but I managed to set up my rocks in a way that the HOB filters are spraying in front of the rock formations and washing all the poo behind them out of sight until I do a cleaning. It is working surprisingly well at keeping the front of my tank clean.. just don't look behind the rocks because 16 cichlids make waaay too much poo

Haha........ My goldie tank has pool filter sand, and while I do see poop, it is not nearly as much as this other tank. My goldies are not big poopers either :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I played around a little with my spraybar last night, and re-arranged a tad bit, and already this morning, the sand looks a little better. I think I am going to go with a small powerhead to add a little more flow, and hopefully this will help.

Too bad I can't just train these fish to jump out of the tank and go use the toilet. Haha, that would be the day, wouldn't it? :)

I just had to laugh!! I am OCD and poop drives me crazy, but I will never go back to gravel. Hubby has his Oscar, imagine the freaking horse poop in that tank half way through the week (omg) I will take my ill angel fish poop any day over that oscars horse size poop lmao

I just had to laugh!! I am OCD and poop drives me crazy, but I will never go back to gravel. Hubby has his Oscar, imagine the freaking horse poop in that tank half way through the week (omg) I will take my ill angel fish poop any day over that oscars horse size poop lmao

Haha. I agree totally. :)
While the poop has kicked my OCD into overdrive, and I am pretty sure I might just have an aneurism over it, I can never go back to gravel either. All I can think is how much poop was in the gravel that I DIDN'T see. :eek:

I also have a strong desire to rip up the carpet in my house now too. :facepalm:

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I played around a little with my spraybar last night, and re-arranged a tad bit, and already this morning, the sand looks a little better. I think I am going to go with a small powerhead to add a little more flow, and hopefully this will help.

Too bad I can't just train these fish to jump out of the tank and go use the toilet. Haha, that would be the day, wouldn't it? :)

I'd settle for them pooping at the intake tube ;-)

Back
Top Bottom