Sand Cleaner Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One that attaches to the sink might be an option if I didn't live in a dorm. It's a suite-style, not traditional-style, so the sink is closer, but it's still not easily accessible, and in a suite full of six girls, two double rooms and two single rooms, we have to be the suite with one double room housing two girls easily grossed out and panicking over a hair clog on the floor. I had to listen to them carry on twice this week alone, and both times, they sounded like they shoulda been in a mental asylum. Guaranteed I would hook it up and start it only to hear the endless screams as if someone were brutally murdering them and hearing the hour-long rant of the tube being so gross they don't even wanna come near it or touch it. And the issue goes on. So, to alleviate the issue of easily disgusted girls that scream at the top of their lungs if a damp rag comes near them, I think I'll try a bucket and a turkey baster or net before I force myself to hear it for any particular length of time more than I already have.

One that attaches to the sink might be an option if I didn't live in a dorm. It's a suite-style, not traditional-style, so the sink is closer, but it's still not easily accessible, and in a suite full of six girls, two double rooms and two single rooms, we have to be the suite with one double room housing two girls easily grossed out and panicking over a hair clog on the floor. I had to listen to them carry on twice this week alone, and both times, they sounded like they shoulda been in a mental asylum. Guaranteed I would hook it up and start it only to hear the endless screams as if someone were brutally murdering them and hearing the hour-long rant of the tube being so gross they don't even wanna come near it or touch it. And the issue goes on. So, to alleviate the issue of easily disgusted girls that scream at the top of their lungs if a damp rag comes near them, I think I'll try a bucket and a turkey baster or net before I force myself to hear it for any particular length of time more than I already have.

Seriously? It takes my husband and I all of MAYBE 45 minutes if we're doing in-depth cleanings in our two tanks, one a 55gal and one a 65 gal. I think they could handle 15 +/- minutes or better yet, do it when they aren't home. It's really pretty simple using one that attaches to the sink.

I might try it, but if you see a news story of a college girl spraying fish-poop-riddled water on two roommates claiming they wouldn't stop screaming at the looks of it and carrying on like little sissy girls so she unhooked it spontaneously getting extremely annoyed by the screaming and literally bawling, it wasn't me. :whistle: (And yes, they have bawled because the sink was too gross to quickly wash hair dye from their hair in and the shower was unavailable.)

I need an apartment to myself. They had to clean the shower two days ago and I keep a rug in that room because I had surgery on my knee a year ago and I slip or fall over rather easily now. They both were carrying on about my rug in there. I'm in my room studying and listening to a 5-minute chant of "Ew, ew, ew! I don't know what it is! I don't even wanna touch it!" Um . . . it's a rug. It was washed two days before you cleaned the shower. It's even completely dry. Yet I still had it tossed in front of my door and them carrying it out of the shower room with their fingernails. I can just imagine them walking out while I'm doing a water change with that hose. That would be a great news story. And for entertainment purposes to the people who agree with me and feel my pain, I will video it. :cool:

:ROFLMAO: I would die laughing watching my own video! I would watch it every time I needed an uplifting and probably make a mess on my floor! I'm sure my fish would laugh with me! We don't need rugs to gross people out! We got tubes of poop!

:ROFLMAO: I would die laughing watching my own video! I would watch it every time I needed an uplifting and probably make a mess on my floor! I'm sure my fish would laugh with me! We don't need rugs to gross people out! We got tubes of poop!

omg...this is too funny....lol really

Which thought? Listening to two college girls screaming bloody murder because there's a rug on the floor, or spraying said easily disgusted girls with poopy water just because they were carrying on again? I'm gonna get in so much trouble one day for thoughts like this. After the rug thing, I soooo wanted to find something really gross and put it on their doorknob. But I didn't. Then again, now I have poop water. I didn't do anything. The news is lying. ;)

I suck the water through my siphon into a bucket to vacuum my rocks... Am I the only who uses my mouth to get the suction going?

I am not sucking up poop water into my mouth. I will gladly use it to cause endless amounts of trouble and laughter, but it will not go into my mouth. I will use the turkey baster to start the siphon.

I suck the water through my siphon into a bucket to vacuum my rocks... Am I the only who uses my mouth to get the suction going?

Easier way to get the suction going... Plug your finger over the tube that feeds into the bucket, and fill the entire tube with tank water. Once there is no air in the tube at ALL (including the larger end), unplug your finger from the tube and it will start suctioning.

I don't get the poo water in my mouth. I suck it over the hump at the top and once it starts flowing stick it in the bucket, I rinse it out between suctions when I dump the water in the sink.... Works like a charm... I watched a friends mom siphon a pool like that when I was a kid and my ex bf s mom had turtles she used a suction for. Only times in my life I've seen someone use a siphon. Took me a few times to get it down (I'm sure I've gotten a bit of poo water in mouth a time or ya know 5 lol) but now it's pretty routine and flawless.

KryptiCouple said:
Easier way to get the suction going... Plug your finger over the tube that feeds into the bucket, and fill the entire tube with tank water. Once there is no air in the tube at ALL (including the larger end), unplug your finger from the tube and it will start suctioning.

I've seen that and considered that but the way I do it works for me... Easier then retraining myself at a new technique

My dad has already started calling me an aquatic honey dipper. He's bad enough. If I put the tube in my mouth, I'd never hear the end of it, let alone master not getting a mouthful of fish poop.

BettaGal said:
My dad has already started calling me an aquatic honey dipper. He's bad enough. If I put the tube in my mouth, I'd never hear the end of it, let alone master not getting a mouthful of fish poop.

It's so easy though, just make sure the siphon is clear of water (none in the tube) stick it in the tank with a bucket/bowl/pitcher underneath(I use a chair since my 10gallon is on a microwave like stand) suck until water flows over the first hump out of the tank, stick the tube in the bucket and let it go... So easy. Lol I feel dirty writing that... Oy

It's so easy though, just make sure the siphon is clear of water (none in the tube) stick it in the tank with a bucket/bowl/pitcher underneath(I use a chair since my 10gallon is on a microwave like stand) suck until water flows over the first hump out of the tank, stick the tube in the bucket and let it go... So easy. Lol I feel dirty writing that... Oy

You feel dirty on this one? We've been laughing about spraying poop water on my overly-panicky roommates that are grossed out by water, and you think siphoning sounds dirty? :ROFLMAO: Are the three of us that were on that all from Southwestern Ohio, or what? On this thread, siphoning is clean compared to my fun.

KryptiCouple said:

This is the method I use, it's really not that difficult. I really would never recommend sucking the siphon with your mouth. Lets face it, accidents do happen, and I wouldn't really enjoy tank water in my mouth. Now go pick up a siphon and bucket and clean that tank! Haha :whistle:

This is the method I use, it's really not that difficult. I really would never recommend sucking the siphon with your mouth. Lets face it, accidents do happen, and I wouldn't really enjoy tank water in my mouth. Now go pick up a siphon and bucket and clean that tank! Haha :whistle:

I'm greatly enjoying seeing people like us Daytoners that have sick senses of humor. I will be going to get a siphon, but I will not use my mouth. That gives a whole new meaning to the term "potty-mouth".

Back
Top Bottom