Sand Friendly cleanup crew.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I recently switched to sand (using play sand) and I was wondering if there was anything I could get that would clean off my plants and rocks.. I have a slight dusting of sand all over all of them and well frankly it looks horrible.

I was planning on getting some MTS for the sand to mix them up, would they clean off the rocks and stuff as well? Was also thinking about getting a crayfish, which I saw at my LFS. But then I was thinking would they eat my fish if he got a hold of one.

What do you guys use for your cleanup crew. Right now I have a black mystery snail, and an algae eater. Might get some MTS today if my LFS has them. Gotta call them.

Getting frustrated no LFS have MTS :(

Anyone know any other borrowing animals that will get help move my sand around to prevent toxic air bubbles.

my banjo cat fish burrows in the sand and hides under the sand during the day

Sadly my LFS doesnt have them either. Wonder if a crayfish would do anything, umm. I am wondering if the World Wide Aquarium has anything, but they arnt open yet.. I will them again. 20 minute drive, but will be worth it.

I believe WhiteDevil has a post in the Classifieds that he'll send MTS for the cost of shipping.

MTS won't clean sand off the rocks and plants, but they will clean up leftover food and keep some kinds of algae trimmed. Get a turkey baster to blow the sand off your decor. If you have decent flow in your tank, the sand will work its way off.

I believe WhiteDevil has a post in the Classifieds that he'll send MTS for the cost of shipping.

MTS won't clean sand off the rocks and plants, but they will clean up leftover food and keep some kinds of algae trimmed. Get a turkey baster to blow the sand off your decor. If you have decent flow in your tank, the sand will work its way off.

there is a classifieds section lol

i used to have tons, i sold my 55g that had most of them in it, now i probably only have 100 or so, so im going to have to get the population up before i can get rid of any or i'd ship you some. What are you wanting your "clean up crew" for? There are tons of bottom feeders, and most prefer sand. Corydora catfish are awesome little guys, dwarf plecos are another. just really depends on what you want them for. none are the solution to algae, and none can replace doing a vac every week or two

Umm, I think it's $4.95 for the flate rate box. I don't think I will need a heating pad. How warm is it there?

Its about 40 degrees where I am, I never really had things shipped to me as far as fish wise, so I do not know :p

Another sand friendly critter is kuhli loaches. They burrow in the sand and do a good job of cleaning up leftover food on the bottom. :)

As for cleaning off the leaves of your plants I would go with Ottocinlus/ The Ottos are so small and cute and they never stop eating! Three kept my 46 gallon full of plants and rocks clean. :)

Back
Top Bottom