Sand in freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wanted to use sand in my freshwater tank. I have a 55 gallon tank planted and a canister filter. I've heard that if you use sand that it has to be changed out quite frequently. Is there any truth to this or would I be ok with the sand for a while?

I asked this question yesturday and i was told by severum mama that you do not need to replace the sand. the bio-load from the fish will rest on top of the sand instaed of sinking down like it will with gravel. just vacuum it during pwc and you shoul be ok. I've been told pool filter sand is the way to go.

fadetoblack06 said:
I wanted to use sand in my freshwater tank. I have a 55 gallon tank planted and a canister filter. I've heard that if you use sand that it has to be changed out quite frequently. Is there any truth to this or would I be ok with the sand for a while?

I heard the same thing, where levels of ammonia and nitrite pockets can build up in the sand. So it has to be changed every once in a while

Edit* but idk if that's true or not

I have sand in some of my FW tanks. MTS will help stir up the sand(they burrow in and out of the sand) and might prevent those trapped gases.

you just need to stir it every once in a while to keep it from getting anaerobic pockets. If it does that, it will have a funky smell.

Plant roots help aerate the sand also.

MTS= malaysian trumpet snails.

what about if I have ghost shrimp, 2 blue lobsters, and 3 plecostamus? one hi fin, one royal, and one bristle nose?

the hi fin has grown from about 2" to almost 5" in like 4 months so he's going to be a big guy. my royal hasn't grown to much from what I've seen. I think out of all the fish I have In there the royal is the one I would not be able to do without the rest I could rehome.

I googled royal pleco and saw this interesting article...

http://joshday.com/royalpleco.htm

It says that minimum size tank for 1 royal pleco is 55g. Also mentioned that it can grow up to 2 feet in length. I'm not sure about this. Just want to share the article.

that was informative. I think now I will wait a little bit longer then rehome the hi fin pleco, or I can just get another tank if the wife will approve lol.

2 crays will become 1 even in the 55 gallon. I was reading that they need 20 gallons each and they could live together. they stay on opposite sides of the tank now.

yes,crays hate each other.if they met there would be one left.

See now I want to buy 2 tanks for 2 crays and call them Ronnie and Reggie :D
You guys seriously undermine my resolve to not buy anymore tanks !

Back
Top Bottom