Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand of gravel?

I've always used gravel and currently have gravel in my tank now however using sand really appeals to me. Does anyone use sand or gravel and what's your opinions on it? The pros and cons? Also is play sand suitable if I decided to use sand? Thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Play sand IS suitable but it's a pain! I love sand but would recommend u use some designed for aquarium use. Yes, pricier, but sooooo much easier!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles24 View Post
Play sand IS suitable but it's a pain! I love sand but would recommend u use some designed for aquarium use. Yes, pricier, but sooooo much easier!
What is it about the play sand that's hard?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I've been using playsand for years, specifically Quikrete's Premium Playsand, and have had absolutely no issues. I'm really curious why tons of people say playsand is a pain. I'm wondering if they've even tried it out.

I've ran the same sand in my 10g, 20H, 30g L, and now my 75G. I also set up several other tanks for friends that are using it also. For $5/50lb you can't beat it. Yes, it is dirty, throw it in a pillow case and run water from a hose through it until the water comes out clear and dump it in your tank.

I find the sand settles fast when disturbed and when I had my 30g up and running I had it heavily planted (high tech & high light) and had no issues with compacting the roots, etc.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I've been using playsand for years, specifically Quikrete's Premium Playsand, and have had absolutely no issues. I'm really curious why tons of people say playsand is a pain. I'm wondering if they've even tried it out.

I've ran the same sand in my 10g, 20H, 30g L, and now my 75G. I also set up several other tanks for friends that are using it also. For $5/50lb you can't beat it. Yes, it is dirty, throw it in a pillow case and run water from a hose through it until the water comes out clear and dump it in your tank.

I find the sand settles fast when disturbed and when I had my 30g up and running I had it heavily planted (high tech & high light) and had no issues with compacting the roots, etc.
Okay that's great! The price really appeals to me, I think it looks so much better than gravel but aquarium sand is too expensive for my liking! I'd rather spend that money on fish!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I have used play sand in the past and initially there was some work up front with rinsing. You really need to rinse it out else you will be doing a lot of water changes to clear it up.
I also kept the depth shallow for fear of anaerobic pockets I guess. It looked natural, the price was good and the one plant I had at the time grew fine in it and debris would usually settle on top instead of getting embedded in it. Of course using a gravel siphon took some adjustment. If I had to do sand over again I would probably do pool filter sand.
I have moved on to a plant specific substrate due the number of plants I keep in the tank now.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pool filter sand is another inexpensive option, too ($10/50lb). Its a slightly larger grain than play sand, never clouds and does not get sucked into filters or gravel vacs as its heavier than play sand. It comes in shades of white to beige/tan. Same thing applies though- it must be very well rinsed before using.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Pool filter sand is another inexpensive option, too ($10/50lb). Its a slightly larger grain than play sand, never clouds and does not get sucked into filters or gravel vacs as its heavier than play sand. It comes in shades of white to beige/tan. Same thing applies though- it must be very well rinsed before using.
Okay thanks ill look into this!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I have used play sand in the past and initially there was some work up front with rinsing. You really need to rinse it out else you will be doing a lot of water changes to clear it up.
I also kept the depth shallow for fear of anaerobic pockets I guess. It looked natural, the price was good and the one plant I had at the time grew fine in it and debris would usually settle on top instead of getting embedded in it. Of course using a gravel siphon took some adjustment. If I had to do sand over again I would probably do pool filter sand.
I have moved on to a plant specific substrate due the number of plants I keep in the tank now.
Yeah that's great thanks! I was wondering if it would get sucked into the filter!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I really like river pepples for my 20 gallon, but I think it depends on the fish too. I switched to sand for our dragon goby, but our khuli loach is NOT happy. Once I have the goby in his own tank, I will be giving the loach back his rocks!

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com