Sand of gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacobThomson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've always used gravel and currently have gravel in my tank now however using sand really appeals to me. Does anyone use sand or gravel and what's your opinions on it? The pros and cons? Also is play sand suitable if I decided to use sand? Thanks!

Play sand IS suitable but it's a pain! I love sand but would recommend u use some designed for aquarium use. Yes, pricier, but sooooo much easier!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using playsand for years, specifically Quikrete's Premium Playsand, and have had absolutely no issues. I'm really curious why tons of people say playsand is a pain. I'm wondering if they've even tried it out.

I've ran the same sand in my 10g, 20H, 30g L, and now my 75G. I also set up several other tanks for friends that are using it also. For $5/50lb you can't beat it. Yes, it is dirty, throw it in a pillow case and run water from a hose through it until the water comes out clear and dump it in your tank.

I find the sand settles fast when disturbed and when I had my 30g up and running I had it heavily planted (high tech & high light) and had no issues with compacting the roots, etc.

I've been using playsand for years, specifically Quikrete's Premium Playsand, and have had absolutely no issues. I'm really curious why tons of people say playsand is a pain. I'm wondering if they've even tried it out.

I've ran the same sand in my 10g, 20H, 30g L, and now my 75G. I also set up several other tanks for friends that are using it also. For $5/50lb you can't beat it. Yes, it is dirty, throw it in a pillow case and run water from a hose through it until the water comes out clear and dump it in your tank.

I find the sand settles fast when disturbed and when I had my 30g up and running I had it heavily planted (high tech & high light) and had no issues with compacting the roots, etc.

Okay that's great! The price really appeals to me, I think it looks so much better than gravel but aquarium sand is too expensive for my liking! I'd rather spend that money on fish!

I have used play sand in the past and initially there was some work up front with rinsing. You really need to rinse it out else you will be doing a lot of water changes to clear it up.
I also kept the depth shallow for fear of anaerobic pockets I guess. It looked natural, the price was good and the one plant I had at the time grew fine in it and debris would usually settle on top instead of getting embedded in it. Of course using a gravel siphon took some adjustment. If I had to do sand over again I would probably do pool filter sand.
I have moved on to a plant specific substrate due the number of plants I keep in the tank now.

Pool filter sand is another inexpensive option, too ($10/50lb). Its a slightly larger grain than play sand, never clouds and does not get sucked into filters or gravel vacs as its heavier than play sand. It comes in shades of white to beige/tan. Same thing applies though- it must be very well rinsed before using.

Pool filter sand is another inexpensive option, too ($10/50lb). Its a slightly larger grain than play sand, never clouds and does not get sucked into filters or gravel vacs as its heavier than play sand. It comes in shades of white to beige/tan. Same thing applies though- it must be very well rinsed before using.

Okay thanks ill look into this!

I have used play sand in the past and initially there was some work up front with rinsing. You really need to rinse it out else you will be doing a lot of water changes to clear it up.
I also kept the depth shallow for fear of anaerobic pockets I guess. It looked natural, the price was good and the one plant I had at the time grew fine in it and debris would usually settle on top instead of getting embedded in it. Of course using a gravel siphon took some adjustment. If I had to do sand over again I would probably do pool filter sand.
I have moved on to a plant specific substrate due the number of plants I keep in the tank now.

Yeah that's great thanks! I was wondering if it would get sucked into the filter!

I really like river pepples for my 20 gallon, but I think it depends on the fish too. I switched to sand for our dragon goby, but our khuli loach is NOT happy. Once I have the goby in his own tank, I will be giving the loach back his rocks!

Just curious , what does the loach not like about sand? I've had three in sand for 3+ years. When they were in regular gravel their bellies and bottom fins would get shredded.

As far as stirring sand up, I had earth eaters (geos) which are quite literally mini bulldozers. Constantly scooping up sand and spitting it all over the tank. Never had any get in the filter.

Just curious , what does the loach not like about sand? I've had three in sand for 3+ years. When they were in regular gravel their bellies and bottom fins would get shredded.

As far as stirring sand up, I had earth eaters (geos) which are quite literally mini bulldozers. Constantly scooping up sand and spitting it all over the tank. Never had any get in the filter.

Maybe mine would like sand if he had started in it. I had him in river rock for 2+ years. He fit between the rocks so he could burrow anywhere in the tank. Since I put the sand in he only has a little corner of rock. He won't burrow into the sand at all. When I first put the sand in he swam around frantically trying to burrown and just kept returning to the corner, like he was looking for all his regular spots.

So what do people think I should do? Keep my gravel? Or switch to sand? Do you think switching would disturb the fish?

The choice is yours but yes, the fish will be disturbed. You should remove them from the tank if you do swap substrates.

From the time you start draining the tank to remove old substrate to the time the new substrate had settled and water temp is back to normal. Then you just acclimate them the same way you would new fish.

Back
Top Bottom