Sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielle26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which is better? I brought my tank about 2 months ago second hand with everything with it (including fish). It currently has sand, but was thinking about changing to gravel. Would this be hard to do/kill the fish?

It would be harder to do than say switching from gravel to sand but not impossible and shouldn't harm your fish unless you stress them out during the change. Personally I love sand and can't see why anyone would switch from sand to gravel but to each their own. What kind of fish do you have and what's your reasoning for wanting to switch?

Zimmanski said:
It would be harder to do than say switching from gravel to sand but not impossible and shouldn't harm your fish unless you stress them out during the change. Personally I love sand and can't see why anyone would switch from sand to gravel but to each their own. What kind of fish do you have and what's your reasoning for wanting to switch?

Just fancied a change really. But now I think I may not bother. Th sand does look more natural. I don't know. I'm relatively new to fish keeping and I'm finding the poo sits on the sand a lot more than the tank I had a few years back with gravel in. :/ might invest in a fish poop scoop

That's what I love about sand though! One day I was vacuuming the gravel on my 29g and was so absolutely disgusted that I swore never to go gravel again! And the tank was only about 6 weeks old. Ugh, so gross. It also has some other benefits especially if you have fish with barbels. You could also try getting a few bags of a different color sand and mixing it in with what you have now to change the color up, that could easily be the change your wanting.

Back
Top Bottom