Sand or Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering which of the two people find better or prefer, which is easier to keep clean and more convenient? Pro's and con's?

+1 on sand. I've also had both, sand is by far much easier to clean and I just love the overall look.

i vote gravel after my 55G... i was ALWAYS cleaning sand out of my filters... but hey, if you can find a heavy sand then that would be the best. definitely go sand if your gonna get bottom feeders, well sand or very smooth rounded gravel

Im voting sand as well. IF you get the right kind and have the right kind of filter you shouldn't have to worry about sand clogging anything up. Generally it is easier to clean, looks better (IMO), and i think more fish prefer it. I will say however that disassembling a tank with it is an absolute chore. I just took one of my old tanks apart to use the materials in a small build i am doing in my dorm room. My parents where left to take care of it for a while and lets just say that the sand wasnt all that clean. When i took stuff out there was sand on EVERYTHING, and the cleaning of the sand itself took me a couple ours. Not a very clean job either.

My vote is still on the sand, as cleaning out your tank completely shouldnt that common of an event and if you take good care of your tank it wont get that messy anyway.

Thanks everyone for your opinions i have never tried sand but this has definitely made me want to try it out now i am going to probably try it out in a small tank first.

Thanks again!

I agree with sand. It's easier to keep clean, looks better, and fish like cories and other bottom feeders prefer it.

Back
Top Bottom