sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey if I change to sand in my fw tank do I have to worry about air pockets forming in the sand? I heard something about like toxic gasses forming under it

That rarely happens, and then only if it is not done properly or maintained properly. If the sand is not too deep, and you stir it up a bit when you do your PWCs, it will be fine. Mr. Limpet had an ingenious method (I think it was Mr. Limpet). He just rubber banded a toothpick to the end of his gravel vac. He kind of then pokes it into the sand a bit as he siphons out water, and that is more than enough to keep the sand bed healthy.

This is more of an urban legend imo than a legitimate concern. Many, many people use PFS or other sand in their tanks with no problems whatsoever.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the worry is that trapped gases become oxygen poor and develop anoxic conditions. However those gas pockets would be small and the amount of such gasses not present a real danger. This would happen with very fine sand, bigger concern is clouding up the tank during a gravel vac. However PFS is course enough to allow water and gases to flow and
better avoid those gas pockets.

Ahhh okay thanks.
How deep would you say I need to have my sandbed to have live plants in it? Is 1inch enough?

Ahhh okay thanks.
How deep would you say I need to have my sandbed to have live plants in it? Is 1inch enough?

I'd go at least 2 inches, let the roots anchor into the sand, especially if your plants grow well.

It says 55 lbs.....maybe ill just keep my gravel bc idk if my desk can take that extra weight

Gravel is heavy too... As is water. The difference in weight would be insignificant compared to the total weight of your setup.

Gravel is heavy too... As is water. The difference in weight would be insignificant compared to the total weight of your setup.

Have to agree with fort384 on this one, if your desk can't handle the "extra" weight of the sand, then don't use it period. The sand will not me that much heavier than gravel.

Ahh okay. The desk is probly fine. Its as solid as the stands I've seen. I'm just paranoid

Back
Top Bottom