Sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my ACF tank I have a very thin layer of sand covering the bottom. My question is this sand gets black faster than sand that is 2" deep. Any idea why? Should I add more depth? The sand is less that 1/4" deep. I had thought the gasses would take longer to build up because it was thinner, but it isn't working out that way. TIA

No opinions? I'm suprised, well not really I couldn't find anything out on a google search either LOL.

Mine is a bit deeper than that, but that's because I have plants. Mine is about an inch deep. A bit more in some places (though that might be a bit much) and I just stir the sand gently before I do a water change and walla. No black spots. Or if there are any, it's because I missed a spot :wink: I'm so glad I switched to sand. Gravel just isn't my thing.

Sorry Zagz, I'm just going to take a guess.

Are you using the same sand in all of your tanks? The same sand in the tank with the 2" sand bed?

The black spots form when you have a lack of oxygen, allowing anaerobic bacteria to grow. This could be that the sand is getting packed down more, is under any decorations, etc?

I don't think adding volume would help you.

There is only a fake rock and a plant in there. And the ACF's run around like crazy so they are constantly stirring up the sand. It is the same PFS as in all my tanks. Is there another reason for the sand to turn black? They are dirty little guys and increasing the current is not an option as they don't like current. I will just stir it every 2 days I guess. LOL.

I'm using PFS and haven't seen any black spots in mine. I have mine up to 3 inches in areas. I do my stirring maybe every other week or so. Had no problems so far.

That's the thing, in all my other tanks where the sand is 2-3" no problems, in this tank where the sand is less than 1/4" I'm having troubles. :?

Is there another reason for the sand to turn black?

Not that I know of. Could just be that you have a high population of anerobes or anoxic bacteria in there that are finding it easy to make home. If the sand was not getting packed in that area, they wouldn't be able to live, so that has to be your problem. Stirring it every two days may be needed. ;)

Also, I don't know if it's worth a shot or not...but I have heard that increasing heat on the bottom of the tank can help create a slight convection current in the sand, and keep black spots from forming. An undertank heater (not very plausible if it's a large tank) or something like a light fixture under the tank can help.

Back
Top Bottom