Sand, sand, sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, after loads of help and advice from loads of you lovely people :flowers:
I have decided that I will use sand in my new tank (when the hood decides to arrive!).
Now i am faced with more dilemmas, what colour, what type of sand etc etc..
I'm in the UK so dont have ready access to pool stores etc and when i look at sand on websites the sand is listed as marine sand (is this ok for fw?).
Also how much is needed for a 30"x12" tank??

So I would love to hear your adivce/opinons/experience etc.... especially on the colours...

:thanks::popcorn:

Marine sand is not good for fresh water aquarium. I heard some people are using "play sand". I guess you can get it at your local builders supply store. Also blasting sand is good! More expensive and harder to find. If you go with play sand just mix in some very fine gravel in it. That will prevent it from compacting too much.
I recently changed from gravel to sand and I am very happy about it. It is super easy to clean.
You probably need around 50 pounds (23kg). Just make sure you wash it very well before putting in a tank.
Good luck.

Here's a list of the sand I use:

White: Quickrete Medium Sand (I think it's just PFS in a cheaper bag.)
Tan: Play sand
Black: Black Blast (Coal slag blasting compound)

I got all these from my local hardware store for $3-$8 for a 50lb bag. A 50lb bag should be plenty to fill your tank 2"-3" deep with any of these sands.

Thanks guys will go hunting!! And especially thanks for the maidenhead aquatic tip as that is the main place I shop!!!

Back
Top Bottom