Sand substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to try sand.. but I think I want black... I've searched and all I'm finding are bags of small ground up gravel and not sand! Does anyone have black sand and if so could you post a picture and show me what it looks like and tell me where you found it? :-/ Any opinions are greatly appreciated! :)

Try foster and smith aquatics online. They have a black moon sand and it looks great. Everyone that purchases it seems to love it.

Stocking options?

Okay, I have a list of some fish I like and the 3 sizes of tanks I have.... this list is not set in stone, just a general idea of the fish I like and would like to have in my tanks! I still need a centerpiece fish! :) Any advice or suggestions are totally welcome!!

chili rasboras/mosquito rasboras
axelrod rasboras
scissortail rasboras
Endlers Livebearers
Pygmy cories
peppered cories
angelicus loach
cherry barb
cardinal tetra
neon tetra
penguin tetra
jellybean tetra
cochus blue tetra

The tanks I have to fill... 44 gallon corner pentagon, natural colored gravel, some plants
20 gallon, I want sand in this one, probably black sand, definitely planted
10 gallon, so far blue rock thinking about changing it, currently houses 1 black skirt and 1 red tail rasbora

personal preference of course but I always thought the white pool filter sand has a more natural look

Attachments

• image-2209809543.jpg
    image-2209809543.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1035342602.jpg
    image-1035342602.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 111
"Black Beauty" blasting sand found at "Tractor Supply".
These are old pics of my 75 gallon with a close up. This is a mix of 50 pounds of blasting sand and 20 pounds of black EcoComplete.
Blasting sand is also only about ten bucks for a 50 pound bag.

Attachments

• image-236644647.jpg
    image-236644647.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2079371652.jpg
    image-2079371652.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 142
"Black Beauty" blasting sand found at "Tractor Supply".
These are old pics of my 75 gallon with a close up. This is a mix of 50 pounds of blasting sand and 20 pounds of black EcoComplete.

Your tank is gorgeous! :) Although, I think if I end up putting the cories or loaches in there, I dunno if they would like the fine grain of sand or the rocker looking sand...

Mommaof4boys said:
Your tank is gorgeous! :) Although, I think if I end up putting the cories or loaches in there, I dunno if they would like the fine grain of sand or the rocker looking sand...
Thank you :)
Cories and Loaches would love it. They would both likely prefer a sandy substrate over rocky as they like to root around and dig around.
The bigger chunks you see in the close up is the EcoComplete. The blasting sand is quite fine but heavy.

My Black Sand tank. I used Tahitian Moon Sand from Petsmart over Flourite Black Sand.
TMS also check Amazon.

image-24750636.jpg

image-3112847274.jpg

And my other sand 10g
TMS over Black Diamond blasting sand.

Back
Top Bottom