Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kshannon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It has been a long time since I have an aquarium and in the process of setting a new one up. I have ordered some tajitia moon black sand for the substrate. I know you have to stir it around every so often because of dead spots. I was wondering if you have to stir it around if you have live plants? Any sugestions would help.

Thanks!

It has been a long time since I have an aquarium and in the process of setting a new one up. I have ordered some tajitia moon black sand for the substrate. I know you have to stir it around every so often because of dead spots. I was wondering if you have to stir it around if you have live plants? Any sugestions would help.

Thanks!

I have that same stuff and love it, I never stir it either. With live plants I believe the roots pushing through the substrate does enough, but most of the anaerobic pockets occur when your sand bed is too thick. Without plants IMO the sand should only be about 1" or less and with plants around 2".

If its a planted tank. You just swirl your siphon over the sand. You may want to look at "black diamond sand blasting sand" it looks just like the moon. But you can get really cheap. I just bought 100 lbs for 19 bucks! You can fine it at a tractor supply or northern tool.

image-2600361705.jpg

Thanks!

I have the same sand you've ordered. I do not stir up my sand or anything other then lightly vacuum, I keep the hose about an inch or so above the sand and lightly go across so I just pick up debris.

For dead spots I just use a koralia power head in my tank along with my two AC110's seem to be doing a good job.

Just to clarify, you're talking about anaerobic pockets in the substrate not dead spot in reference to water flow correct?

Thanks for all the great responses! I could not remember the official term for it so I kinda made up my own term, sorry.

Don't get me started about learning about the blasting sand. I already ordered it.

Back
Top Bottom