Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leannaby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.. Looking for opinions or pros and cons about using sand in aquarium.

What sand is best to use?
How to clean it?
Anything that I need to know before changing to sand ?
How to install sand ?

I bought "white play sand" From my local home improvement store.

My Cory cats love it And I like the look.

I just put my vacuum above the sand about and inch and it sucks most debris/waste out. I do not stick my vacuum into the sand

I am currently thinking about changing to sand myself, I love live plants and am a concerned how well they can anchor in the sand....any tips anyone...thanks

Thanks davidberger, good idea. Would tying a fishing sinker be okay do you think? It wouldn't affect the ph?

Not pH...but it's lead. Lead. Right???? I have my plants in dirt/playsand cap and it works great. The baby plants are a little hard, but a small rock is all it takes to keep them down until they root.

LOL...yes you are right, didn't think of it being lead, tho the plant weights that they sell at the FS are lead strips...but a rock will be fine....thanks

thanks corsair, where would you get the black caribsea sand? I would like to have black, it looks great

Looks like you're set on black sand, if you decide white, I used pool filter sand which you can get at any pool store for about 12 bucks for a 50 pound bag.
I've been using it for years, just rinse a few times in a bucket, add to the tank and it's ready.
With most sands you might get a bit of cloudy water for a day or so then it clears right up.

I really like the look of black sand, but I can only find it at Menards. They sell it as blasting sand (for sandblasters). It requires a bit of cleaning but worth it

I really like the look of black sand, but I can only find it at Menards. They sell it as blasting sand (for sandblasters). It requires a bit of cleaning but worth it

+1 to this. It runs $9 for 50lbs in my neck of the woods (tractor supply co.) Beautiful too.

I have found some of the caribsea black subtrate here in australia, it's about $44au for 9.2 kgs. Black looks so nice, but white also is very good. How do you go about cleaning it when u do the wc's? Do you did around in it or just run along the top?

just run along the top. nice thing about sand is debris can't get caught in it, it all just sits on top. And, for me at least, it's so cheap i don't mind if some of it gets sucked up. for $8 or $9 I can get another 50 pound bag.

I skim the top of my sand. TO wash it you just swish it round in a bucket, dumping off the cloudy water, till the water comes out clear.

Thanks for that, i think that will be the way to go, as you say it's inexpensive and looks good too....bonus!!

Sand blasting sand can be very fine almost like powder.

Yep, sure will....I'm really looking forward to it, I'm sure the fish would prefer sand rather than gravel!!

The stuff i found was just like normal sand.... but black. If you get black blasting sand to use as substrate, CLEAN it before you put it in your tank!!! Fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with sand and rinse it with a hose while stirring. Once you think it's clean, keep cleaning it for a bit longer. There's a bunch of fine dust in blasting sand that will cloud your water unless you remove it all. It takes a bit of work but was definitely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom