sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LestWeForget13

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was going to change my tank from gravel to sand, or gravel under sand. would that be a good idea? and if so what is the process needed for goin about putting sand in the tank?

I've been looking into the same thing. I have found out that its best if you have live plants to have either loads of sand or some gravel under the sand like you said. That way the plants have something solid to get there roots into. one thing i have heard is that sand dosn't need cleaning the way gravel dose cause detritus just sits on top. although it may make the tank look a bit messy. I am still looking into it though. dont take my words as gospel.

If you are looking to try sand, I say go for it. I switched from gravel to sand and I love it. I do notice fish poo and all that, more with the sand because it does sit right on top, but it is easier to keep clean than the gravel. Also my corys kick up the guck as they are swimming, so a lot of it gets sucked into the filter. When I changed over, most of my fish were in qt, so I didn't need to worry about them getting in the way. What I did, was empty out about 1/2 the water from the tank, scooped out all the gravel. I used a large cup. And then I put in the RINSED sand, again with a cup. The one thing I should have done that I didn't do was rinse the sand before I did anything else. It would have gone a lot smoother that way. Good luck! also my sand is only about an inch to an inch and a half deep. I have some live plants in there and they seem to be doing ok.

I converted our 55 and 29 to sand a couple months ago and am VERY happy with the results. It is easier to clean than gravel is. When you intially set up with the sand, be prepared, your water WILL be cloudy and don't worry about it. First thing, get the fish out of the way. If you have another tank to put them in, that would be perfect. Then, take out at least half the water and start scooping out the gravel. It's going to take a while and you will find TONS of fishy poop but that's ok. Once you have all the gravel out, rinse your sand VERY well. I can't stress that enough. Then pour the sand into the tank until you have at least an inch and a half. Let the water set for a while as you put back in the decorations. Fill the tank with water, test the levels, and re-acclimate your fish back into the tank. The entire process took me about 2 hours from start to finish, and that's in a 55 gal. When you are putting the filtration system back into your tank, be sure to put something around the intake tube. We used a filter floss roll from a canister filtration system. There is not a specific product that you can put on the tube, it's pretty much whatever you can make homemade. Also be sure to put it on your power heads. The sand can get sucked up into those systems and burn them up.

I hope you decide to go to sand, it is very nice looking and easy to clean up. All you have to do is hover the gravel vac above the sand and it will suck it right up. You will notice more fish poop laying around, but a way to combat this is by taking a darker colored sand and sprinkling it on top of light colored sand. This gives it the effect that the fish poop is actually black sand. That's what we did and it's nice. I attached a pic of our tank sand so you can get an idea of what I mean.

Sand does look cool and if I were to set-up a planted tank again I would try it. I would advise getting rid of the gravel first. If you do not most of the sand will work its way down through the gravel and become mixed unless that is the look you are going for.

HTH,

I have a 90 gal tank that I have been debating about changing to sand from and "OLD" UGF system. But I have some questions from more experienced people.

First my intentions are to use play sand. I set up a 40 gal last fall with the play sand & like it. It has 4 convict cichlids in. This tank has been 'low maintenace with a hang on the back filter containing 2 of the #3 size Aqua-Tech filters. I just rinse them good and have only put in new filters about 2 weeks ago. The tank has been running since early October.

The 90 gal UGF is a ripple bottom & 2 power head at opposite ends with about 2 inches of gravel. I know it will be major mess to switch!! So I am waiting until spring--occupants are goldfish & they will go back outside. Probably 4 fantails will remain inside but I have a rubbermaid tub or a bucket they could occupy for the change.

Currently the powerhead just sit on top of the uptake tubes--how would they 'attach' or work in the sand set up? The uptake tubes would no longer be needed, correct? The tank is about 6 ft long so the powerheads would still be needed, correct?

I have a hang on the back filter that uses 2 of the #3 size Aqua-Tech filters. I would like to switch this tank over to operate like the 40 gal. Am I heading for trouble by doing this and should leave well enough alone?

Opinions/thoughts would be appreciated--Thanks in advance

If you are planning on adding sand, the UGF is going to be taken out of the tank. The sand will only get pulled into it and thrown back out. It will be a big mess. You won't get into any trouble as long as you prepare yourself and do it right the first time (I didn't and found myself in a LOT of trouble. It was fixed in a couple days, but still, headaches.) Just remember to get rid of the UGF, be sure to rinse the sand VERY well, and prepare yourself for cloudy water. No matter how experienced you are, you will always have cloudy water for at least a couple hours.

I've just come back from my local DIY store and i was looking at the sand. there was 2 types that took my interest. 1 was play sand which was £4.50 per 25kg and the other was kiln dried sand that is used for filling the gaps in block pathing for £2.19 per £25kg. The kiln dried sand felt softer than the play sand. i wondered if anyone knows whether i can use this in my tank. The other more expensive option is that i have found a internet site that sells silver sand but it is £18 for a 25kg bag (dilivered)

If I were to add sand to my gravel, thinking that it would be fine if they mixed, would I not then be able to do gravel vaccuming where I'm inserting the gravel vac into the substrate? Wouldn't the sand just fly out... and if I can't put it into the mixed substrate... isn't that bad because... well thats what you do when you have gravel?

Sand compacts well and the garbage sits on top. Also, once sand is in the tank for awhile, bacteria grow and the sand is less likely to fly around. I can put my gravel vac in the sand and very little of the sand gets sucked up. Remember, with a sand bottom tank that you will need to stir the sand and not allow anaerobic pockets to build up.

The kiln dried sand felt softer than the play sand.
I have never heard of kiln dried sand. If all they did was take sand and cooked it, I don't see a problem with it. Just make sure the sand will not mess with the water chemistry.
The other more expensive option is that i have found a internet site that sells silver sand but it is £18 for a 25kg bag (dilivered)
I have never heard of this. Can you provide a link?

Back
Top Bottom