sand substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is the all purpose sand you buy at Lowe's the right stuff, or should it say "pool sand" or "pool filter sand"?

It depends it maybe aragonite sand which you don't want in a fresh water tank, unless you have African Lake Cichlids. it may raise your KH. You would be better off finding the pool sand. We know that is safe and as cheap as dirt.

I agree... pool filter sand.. the all-purpose they sell at lowes is filthy and requires a lot of cleaning. Besides you can get a really nice light colored PFS

I got mine at home depot for $6 for about a 50lb bag...

It takes some work to rinse, but not as much as some. I only needed 2.5 bags for my 125 gallon tank...

we got our "all purpose sand" at lowe's today and the girls working there told my husband that was all they had. I guess that's what happens when I let him go into the store not knowing what to get, he finds females working there to ask for advice :slurp: So, I guess if I need to do something and have it done right, do it myself! I have been looking online for it and haven't been successful, beside at petco at $7.50 for 10 lbs and I have a 55 gallon so I'm going to need what 30-50 lbs?

I just thought of that after calling our home depot and lowes but they are closed now, sooooooo have to wait until tomorrow. I still have a few days before getting substrate in anyway. It's kind of a project (I need to make a lid and re-silicone and paint the framing).

Actually, I find it kind of odd that people go to Lowes/Home Depot looking for pool filter sand (and I openly admit, so did I). I mean, the name tells you exactly where to go to get it, right? I guess we are getting so used to "one stop shopping" that we don't even consider the alternatives anymore.

:oops: I know, good point! I buy alot, maybe too much stuff at walmart. It's just that they carry stuff alot cheaper most of the time adn that's what I think of first, price. I caved and bought just some neutral colored larger gravel today, at you guessed it, Walmart :lol: I was just tired of running around looking for the stuff and I want my tank to be enjoyable from start to finish. I wasn't in the area where a pool store was either, oh well. Just one step closer to getting the finished product. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom