sand substrate upkeep questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just switched over to a sand substrate in my 55gal and am wondering what the prefered method of cleaning it is. will gravel vacing work? i wouldn't think so, but who knows... and am i right that mts will do a good job aerating it? overall i like the look much better than gravel. the sand really brightens up the tank and makes it look extra clean. on the otherhand, buildup really stands out more without the gravel for camo!

I have pool filter sand and I was worried about all this at first. As far as cleaning I just hold the gravel vac above the sand and it sucks up the waste very easily. I love the sand look in my planted tank.

Another thing is to build a slight slope higher in the back and it will be easier to clean the debris.

How many MTS do you have? You need a good amount to aerate it. I have around 50 in my 29 gal. If you are concerned you don't have enough you can move it around a little with a straightened coathanger or whatever does the job.

thanx, i'm glad to hear that will work. i did slope the sand when i put it in, so no problem there. as far as mts goes, i am actually scoring some from a friend tonight. should be able to get 30 or so. since they multiply like crazy there should be plenty to aerate the 55 in no time at all right?

Back
Top Bottom