Sand to gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbueno

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im taking the sand out of my 55 gallon and gonna replace it with gravel, caribsea eco-complete...

My question is how fast can I remove sand with disturbing my tanks level?

Question two
How can I lay the be gravel down with out disturbing my tanks levels?

I just did this last weekend....but you are not gonna like how we did it...

I drained the tank 1/2 way - removed the fish/ADF and plants.
Finished draining the tank - dumped sand and rinsed the tank with cold water.
Took 1/4 of gravel from 26 gallon tank (which I changed to eco complete the same day) and mixed it with the eco complete.
Added treated water - landscaped - waited 1/2 hour or so, then put fish/ADFs back in.

Though the fish/ADFs were stressed during the transfers, they were fine as soon as they went back into the tank. They ate normally and swam normally.

Because my HOB filter is established, I had little/no fluctuations in my levels. I have 2 pieces of driftwood that I removed for the change and put back in.

Of course, I also used some of the gravel from my 26 gal. to help "re-establish" the cycle...plus it looks totally cool!! :fish2:

How many pounds should I use for my 55

You want to have about a two inch bed for plants. Depending on how much sand you have in the tank now. You could just remove half of the sand and cap with Eco. The way Eco work is that small particle sift down. So the Eco would stay on the top.

Wouldn't leaving a bottom layer of sand also leave the possibility of food particles getting trapped in it and rotting, creating toxic bubbles?

Wouldn't leaving a bottom layer of sand also leave the possibility of food particles getting trapped in it and rotting, creating toxic bubbles?

I don't think so. I think the fact that its light weight helps I have it in my 40 and never had a problem. As you work with Eco, small particle(sand/pebbles) will gravitate down do to it natural composition. So if you tried to cap Eco with sand. The sand would end up on the bottom over time. You could add mt snails as prevention. They do an awesome job of cleaning anything in the substrate.

With sand being so dense and compacted toxic bubbles are created in the sand so you would need to go and run you finger through the sand to prevent that from happening...putting a substrate over the sand will prevent you from stirring the sand...

If my thinking is wrong plz let me know

I agree with Valina. It will be the fastest and easiest way. I would only add after you replace everything leave the lights off.

K thanks thats what ive started to do...a lil at a time and ill get it done...im ordering the eco-complete today how many pounds should I get I'm thinking 60...3 bags

With sand being so dense and compacted toxic bubbles are created in the sand so you would need to go and run you finger through the sand to prevent that from happening...putting a substrate over the sand will prevent you from stirring the sand...

If my thinking is wrong plz let me know

It can happen yes. but if released the bubble would rise and release the gas in the air when it popped at the surface. Its more of a concern in salt water tanks. It's also not a common occurrence. Capping sand wouldn't prevent you from stirring the sand especially with Eco but your plants would. That said, do what is comfortable for you. Capping was just a suggestion. ;)

I think 3 bags would be plenty. If it doesn't seem to be enough after you put it in, you can always mix in a 20# bag of small river rock to give it a more natural appearance.

Back
Top Bottom