Sand versus Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

academyy_xx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently bought a fish tank that I filled with rocks but I am seeing people with freshwater fish (like me) that have sand instead. Now all my fish are tropical semi-aggressive fish if that makes a difference. I am wondering if one is better then the other and how easy/hard it is to clean a sand filled tank over a rock filled tank.

Sand needs rinsed just like rock when added. Personally, with a pretty good gravel vac I think the gravel was easier to clean but I like the look of the sand better. What is your stocking exactly? Most importantly your bottom dwellers

I currently have 2 red tail sharks, 1 green tiger barb and 1 black banded leporinus and 2 plecos as well.

What size is your tank? You should only have one shark and they get big along with your banded L. Gravel is easy to clean the top stuff out but I am able to keep my sand cleaner and like the look a ton better. If you have bottom dwellers, fish with barbels, or fish that like to burrow you really should have sand or at the very least Verny smooth rounded pea gravel

Right now I only have a 20.gallon but I am hoping to get 75+ by next summer

academyy_xx said:
Right now I only have a 20.gallon but I am hoping to get 75+ by next summer

You need to rehome your fish for their own good, I'm not trying to be harsh just trying to tell you the truth. "Hoping to" or "I might be able to" are never good phrases when talking about meeting the requirements of the fish you've taken responsibility for. IMO you should rehome your current large stock then be patient to get them After you've got your bigger tank because you never know what's going to come up. Now you're saying "hoping to" and when your pets really need it you could very easily be saying "I'd like to but money is tight right now".

I meant I was hoping to have it by next summer but I'm waiting on an apartment where I can fit a larger tank. Unfortunately when I bought the fish, the associate mentioned every thing but how large the fish get and that's what worried me.

^^ I just hope they can last a few months in that tank until I do get a larger one.

academyy_xx said:
I meant I was hoping to have it by next summer but I'm waiting on an apartment where I can fit a larger tank. Unfortunately when I bought the fish, the associate mentioned every thing but how large the fish get and that's what worried me.

This happens a whole lot more than it should, employees and companies are only looking to make a sale as fast as possible because they know the fish will die soon in their store and that means a loss of $ for them. It's best to do your own research before making in purchases like that. Most stores will take returns, can you return them until you get your bigger tank? I think your sharks will end up killing each other and your banded are also to be known as tank killers which I think not enough space makes this occur more often. I'm not giving demands or commands of course, you can do whatever you'd like with your tank, I just think returning them would be best for now.

The sharks use to chase each other around but now they seem to get along well! I found somebody who is gonna sell me their large tank though in a couple weeks once they clear it up. My fish are all under 2 inches in size right now so I think they will be okay for a few weeks.

My friend has three sharks, one red tail and two bala sharks in her tank along with two cichlids and hers all get along fine so I hope mine do too but I haven't had any fighters or nipping yet so I guess that's a good sign. I've heard that if you raise them together as babies you have a lower chance of them fighting?

It's true that some species that are raised together will not become aggressive toward each other. Your 2 rts are probably at a stage where they've called a truce. As they mature though they WILL become more territorial and aggressive toward each other and other "shark" minnow species as well even if you do upgrade to a 75gal.

Hopefully mine don't turn out like that! I guess if I start noticing bad behaviour it will be time to give them up

It's not like I haven't owned fish before, just never these species. So if i start noticing unusual behaviour, I will fix my set-up. Thank you all for your feed back though!

Glad to hear you're getting a bigger tank! That's good news, like I said I wasn't trying to be bossy or make you sound clueless, just needed to be said.

Have you decided on gravel or sand yet?

I'm not sure yet. I think I might just stick with the gravel for now and maybe in a few years, if I get another tank, I'll do sand with that one cause I do agree it looks better.

academyy_xx said:
I'm not sure yet. I think I might just stick with the gravel for now and maybe in a few years, if I get another tank, I'll do sand with that one cause I do agree it looks better.

I would definitely do sand in your larger tank when you get it then if you like it better, it's about a hundred times easier to get the substrate you want from the beginning rather than trying to change it after you have water and fish(I've done it both ways haha). Also are you planning to have plants? If so I think sand is also easier. Yes you can grave vac when you have plants in gravel but to really clean gravel you have to be kind of vigorous, with plants in sand all the crud sits on top so you don't have to disturb the roots with your siphon

Right now I only have some plastic plants. Is sand better with live plants or plastic ones? I still have a lot to decide ahah.

Back
Top Bottom