Sand vs. Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sand it's better for plants to

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use eco complete as well, first tank with it and love it so far

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love the look of sand so much more than gravel. BUT I have had sand get sucked up into my filters in the past. It destroyed the filter motor.

So these days I stick to gravel.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found it easier to have less and bigger rockd , depending on the fish you have some like to move it around alot. Some go bare which is a fast clean up

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love the look of sand so much more than gravel. BUT I have had sand get sucked up into my filters in the past. It destroyed the filter motor.

Very valid point. Some filters though have an adjustable intake tube(my Fluval C4 does). And that's always those fish that kick up anything in their path..

Caleb

Sounds like play sand. I have pool filter sand and the granules don't stay in the water column. I get a little clouding after a water change but that's it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, pool filter sand has a larger grain. I never had any filters ruined in my tanks using it, even with the intake tube only inches from the sand. Of course I unplugged the filters when I had to do any rearranging.

Here's the little 10g with pool filter sand I threw together in my classroom. It worked great with plants..

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom