Sand waterfalls a problem for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem! I hate to have ruined your idea with a bigger tank, but It's better than me lying and then finding the tank on the first story in the morning lol. I'm not sure as to exactly how much weight that the wood can hold, but it surely isn't a lot, so be warned that it may crack or even rot with all the humidity from the tank and the such. A 10 gallon sounds okay though, and judging that the tank will only be half full with water, I think you'd be fine on the weight part of it. I was thinking you'd do something like this, just with more water than substrate:

FN3UVM1G3CAPQXJ.LARGE.jpg

In a tank that size, I wouldn't do more than 4-5 fiddlers, but only because of possible territorial issues. They're hardy though and only need slightly brackish water!

Nils

Do you think the "wood" would rot and crack if my office door was always open? I don't feel like my office would ever become overly humid, but I could be very wrong.

I doubt that humidity would be your worst enemy, I think it would be your boss in this case :) I think that's a good idea to leave the door open, but you don't have to do it all day in the office when you want some privacy. You could code it when you're working because I'm sure it takes a way longer time than what you'll be spending in the office to make the wood crack. But over weekends, and nights, I would leave it open just to be sure with the humidity levels and the such. I'm sure that other than that you'll be fine with that small of a tank. There are lots of cool fiddler tanks out there, and I'm sure you can find some inspiration on the web!

Nils

Wish I had better news/more of an update for you. You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be updating this thread or a DIY one when I do it.

At this point, my slate has arrived. I ordered 20 lbs. Not sure that'll be enough or not. I'll probably be buying a simple 10 gal tank this weekend. Hopefully. Suppose I'll start building the rock structure.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One more thing...I asked the owner of LFS for fiddler crabs and he have me regular red crabs.

Is your tank cycled yet? I suggest giving back the crabs until your water is fully cycled and you have everything ready. I think that that much slate should be enough, you just want to make sure that you glue it REALLY STRONGLY to the back because otherwise it will maybe fall and destroy any animals or plants you have int here. I'd love to see pictures if you can get them up!

Nils

I didn't even want to buy the crabs. I traded in my firemouth and catfish from my main tank because it was overstocked. The firemouth was getting bullied and the catfish was being a normal, aggressive catfish.

The owner of the LFS told me I had to get the crabs now and couldn't just have a documented store credit so I ended up walking away with the red crabs.

Right now, they are in a 3.5 gal little kids starter aquarium.

Oh darn, you got yourself a problem. First off, is the water brackish? Second, do they have a space to get onto land? How many crabs? Also, is this just tap water or did you siphon out water from the main tank? If it is tap, do that with the siphon and then add MARINE salt, not aquarium salt. Those are two completely different things. But as for now, you should be fine with the 3.5.

Nils

The owner of the LFS told me I had to get the crabs now and couldn't just have a documented store credit...

That's a red flag. Shame on the owner. Whatever happened to serving the customer?
Good luck with the crabs.

Back
Top Bottom