Sandy bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I got it set up tonight. I'm a little frustrated though. I have a decent leak in the intake bulkhead and I can't get it to quit. Luckily though it is drip right bak down into the sump.

Attachments

• image-1696079565.jpg
    image-1696079565.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image-670864945.jpg
    image-670864945.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 49
I actually went with pool filter sand though. The only blasting sand they had was black unfortunately.

I had bought a big bag of natural playsand from Walmart it doesn't have nasty chemicals in it as other party sand does and it was only like 2.50 for a big bag I just rinsed it off real good before I put it the tank

butterfly_koi said:
I had bought a big bag of natural playsand from Walmart it doesn't have nasty chemicals in it as other party sand does and it was only like 2.50 for a big bag I just rinsed it off real good before I put it the tank

I'd avoid play sand since it is very light and stirs up easily. Especially if your fish enjoys moving sand. I replaced 70lbs of play sand with pool filter sand and can not be more happy.

Also going to replace 20lbs of play sand tomorrow with tms.

Cornstar said:
I'd avoid play sand since it is very light and stirs up easily. Especially if your fish enjoys moving sand. I replaced 70lbs of play sand with pool filter sand and can not be more happy.

Also going to replace 20lbs of play sand tomorrow with tms.

I use the natural play sand, it has larger bits of sand in it and also has some gravel in it as well, I mixed it in with some gravel in my tank my guppies are not much diggers though

Mcass said:
Well I got it set up tonight. I'm a little frustrated though. I have a decent leak in the intake bulkhead and I can't get it to quit. Luckily though it is drip right bak down into the sump.

Looks good, does the pfs have a tan tint? It's nice. Hope u get ur leak issue worked out! I almost went with black, hear its awful filthy!

butterfly_koi said:
I use the natural play sand, it has larger bits of sand in it and also has some gravel in it as well, I mixed it in with some gravel in my tank my guppies are not much diggers though

Oh yea cichlids r digging machines, lol.

You can use all the used filter media either the pad or ceramic even both!! Your decor and media both have BB so is move that over tithe new tank. Also I'd add half old water dose Prime and then add fresh water. With the new substrate you won't stir any gunk up so you'll be fine. If your gonna use fine sand like Jess I STRONGLY recommend egg crate. Here's a pic.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildi...te-egg-crate-lighting-panel-5pack-151888.html

Or you can do your aquascaping first then add the rock so I they dig which they will you won't have a collapse. Sump looks awesome you'll be very happy with that setup. Looks to me like you really don't need any help at all.

Cichlid stones are awesome IMO

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21383

I have a bunch. I'm also a HUGE fan of Anubias I have over 30 in my tank. I've glued them to rocks, driftwood pretty much anything. I've also planted a few but every now and again my misfits will dig them up. I just love the look of a natural setting. I however am not a fan of sand... Yes I said it. I use a mix. The base is Cichlid sand an the top is small natural gravel. It works for me.

I also believe on overstocking with Africans to help cut down aggression an also I like to break up the line of sight with tall driftwood pieces am Anubias glued to it. Seems to work. I run a fx5 and a AC 110 with just the sponge and polishing pads to filter out the micro junk.

I have a Solarmax extreme with ATI bulbs. I have to Rena 300 air pumps running 2 air stones.

Here are a few shots under the new bulbs.

View attachment 86015

View attachment 86016

View attachment 86017

View attachment 86019

View attachment 86018

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Looks good, does the pfs have a tan tint? It's nice. Hope u get ur leak issue worked out! I almost went with black, hear its awful filthy!

It's a nice tan. Fits well with the limestone, rose granite chunks, and river rock. Black just wasn't going to work for me.i think it's turned pretty well, although I may play with rock configuration a little more.

Convict2161 said:
You can use all the used filter media either the pad or ceramic even both!! Your decor and media both have BB so is move that over tithe new tank. Also I'd add half old water dose Prime and then add fresh water. With the new substrate you won't stir any gunk up so you'll be fine. If your gonna use fine sand like Jess I STRONGLY recommend egg crate. Here's a pic.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials-plexiglass/24-in-x-48-in-white-egg-crate-lighting-panel-5pack-151888.html

Or you can do your aquascaping first then add the rock so I they dig which they will you won't have a collapse. Sump looks awesome you'll be very happy with that setup. Looks to me like you really don't need any help at all.

Cichlid stones are awesome IMO

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21383

I have a bunch. I'm also a HUGE fan of Anubias I have over 30 in my tank. I've glued them to rocks, driftwood pretty much anything. I've also planted a few but every now and again my misfits will dig them up. I just love the look of a natural setting. I however am not a fan of sand... Yes I said it. I use a mix. The base is Cichlid sand an the top is small natural gravel. It works for me.

I also believe on overstocking with Africans to help cut down aggression an also I like to break up the line of sight with tall driftwood pieces am Anubias glued to it. Seems to work. I run a fx5 and a AC 110 with just the sponge and polishing pads to filter out the micro junk.

I have a Solarmax extreme with ATI bulbs. I have to Rena 300 air pumps running 2 air stones.

Here are a few shots under the new bulbs.

Convict2161 and Sandy bottom, I'm curious if you could help with some stocking ideas. Keeping in mind I want my Livingstonii in this new tank for sure, here is where I am at. Currently I have this empty 76 half round, a 55 quarter round with the following; 2) female Livingstonii although one began showing a little blue and is making me question it's sex, 1) male Livingstonii, 1) female aurustus, 1) male fuellborni, 1) male and 1) female red zebra, 1) male venustus, 1) female flame back hap, and a pleco.

I also have a 30 gallon that has goldfish in it. I will probably be throwing them in the back yard pond this afternoon so will have an empty 30 available.

Your thoughts?

Oh I almost forgot....a friend of mine is going to be giving me a bumblebee cichlid as well.

And yet another thought....when using media from another tank to quickly cycle this one, would it matter at all whether I used media from my 55 cichlid tank or the goldfish tank? I ask because getting the media in the goldfish tank Is much easier. Does it matter which I use?

Back
Top Bottom