Sanitation dip for tropical fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbitha

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need dilution ratios to sanitize guppy, angelfish, gourami, betta, neon, Cory cats, oto fish, and two assassins snails. It's important they get sanitized before entering their new home as I had to sanitize every inch of the aquarium. Broke everything down threw alll plants and gravel out and bleaching all equipment. And don't want to risk having to do this alllll over again.

They probably won't go in tonight but tomorrow or the next day. Just need to prepare. Thank you guys!

Sorry you're still having soo many issues. You can't really "sanitize" fish without killing them. Your best bet since its spreading is to treat them in qt with something like maracyn plus. That should wipe out the bacteria that's plaguing you.

Before adding any decorations in the tank, even substrate keep them in there and run them through a full course of antibiotics.

So h2o2 dip won't suffice besides medicating? I mean the fish don't have the actual slime on them. They are just swimming in water with slime and I don't want to accidental transport slime into new home when catching the fish... I'll look up the medicine now

Will this be okay with my two assassins?

So h2o2 dip won't suffice besides medicating? I mean the fish don't have the actual slime on them. They are just swimming in water with slime and I don't want to accidental transport slime into new home when catching the fish... I'll look up the medicine now

Honestly, I'd say its better to be safe than sorry. I cant remember correctly but if memory serves you already tried h202 on the plants and it came back correct? As bad as this is imho it's best to eliminate it with extreme prejudice. You don't know how much of the bacteria is residing on or in the fish and while it would be harmless in a lake or river, in the closed system of an aquarium it's not a good thing. Antibiotics will eliminate all traces of it as long as it's one of the types that it affects which maracyn plus is as good a choice as any for that task.

Will this be okay with my two assassins?

Antibiotics are perfectly safe with assassins.

Ok I'll tentatively give it a try. Would you recommend maracyn or para guard. Reading up they both seem pretty good. The para guard seems to cover pretty much everything. Just doesn't say anything about snails...

The paraguard is an option but imho I think the antibiotics would be the direction to go for best chances of success.

I don't think paraguard is an antibiotic? If you think this is bacteria, (which seems very likely) antibiotics is what you need.

Okay thank you guys so much for the tip. I'll grab some maracyn tomorrow at the store when I go to get new gravel for the aquarium.

Note that Maracyn sells two types of antibiotics. One for gram negative bacteria and one for gram positive. They are made to be used together if needed. Research which type you are dealing with. If you are unsure, IMO, use both together. They are pretty expensive here but seem to work really well. OS.

Note that Maracyn sells two types of antibiotics. One for gram negative bacteria and one for gram positive. They are made to be used together if needed. Research which type you are dealing with. If you are unsure, IMO, use both together. They are pretty expensive here but seem to work really well. OS.

Without testing there's no real way of knowing what type of bacteria this is. I recommended maracyn plus earlier which is used for both gram positive and gram negative.

OK Cool. I stand corrected and updated. The plus must be newer than my last need for Maracyn. I'll look for it next time I need it. Thanks. OS.

Back
Top Bottom