Saved a betta....I hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went to the lfs today for some supplies. Well, they had a row of about 40 bettas in tiny cups. The cups were so small that the fish could barely twitch a fin. I picked one up, and it the water was so brown and gunky that I couldn't even tell what color the betta was, only that he was dark. It looked like the water had never been changed. This is the pet store that didn't know mollies were livebearers. I was so upset about the conditions of the fish that I asked to see the manager, only to be told he wasn't there. I bought the little guy and a 2.5 gallon aquarium for him with all supplies. (though I hated giving the store my business - the only other lfs store would have been closed by the time I got there to get the tank, it being late on a Sunday) Well, still not knowing the betta's color, I brought him home. Then, walking up the stairs to my apartment, I dropped the tank. (thank God I didn't drop the fish) and it broke. Heater, filter, tank, all destroyed. After cleaning up (no fun) I brought the fish inside. It was going to be a little while before I could make it back to a lfs, so I tried to decide what to do. I obviously couldn't put him in the 5 gallon with my other betta. The last betta did terrible in my 29 community tank, so I didn't want to risk it. Plus I was afraid he might make the other fish sick without a quarantine. The poor guy had been living in such awful conditions I couldn't bring myself to put him in a jar even for a short time.

So I went to Walmart. Got the smallest tank they had ( A five gallon) and replaced all the accesories I'd broken for a ridiculous amount of money, cursed my carelessness all the way home, and set it up with some gravel and filter elements from my established tank. I will test the water every day and do a pwc.

As for the new guy- he is purple-dark red, the same color as my other betta (darn) but he seems to be a crowntail - hes really spiky. He seems healthy, even spunky, and patrolled the new tank several times. When the tank is cycled, should I try adding tankmates? Or will he have established 'his territory' and that is that? My other betta attacked the otto I put in with him so he is alone with a snail. I think Leo (my old one) decided the tank was his, and that's it, no more fish. Are bettas usually territorial?

Hope he stays ok....

Wow...that sucks. You did a good thing though. It's nice to hear about people like you who actually care about the well-being of fish.

As far as cycling, bettas are pretty hardy fish, but you should still try to do alot of water changes to keep the ammonia down. It's only a 5 gallon tank, so it should be easy.

Bettas are usually peaceful. They are good community fish. Once the tank is cycled, you could add shrimp and/or small fish (no zebra danios, tiger barbs, or other nippy fish though).

Good luck!

In my opinion, a 5 gallon tank is big enough for a betta but no other fish as tankmates. Some ghost shrimp or small snails would be good tankmates. The betta may, or may not, eat the ghost shrimp.

About bettas and tankmates - you never can tell. I've had some bettas that were peaceful and others that were like yours - very territorial and aggressive. Even my peaceful one harrassed a ghost shrimp to death. If you do have a tankmate, you should be prepared to separate them if necessary. If you don't have the tank room to do that, then just stick with the betta by himself, or ghost shrimp or snails.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune in coming home with the tank and equipment. I had a crowntail once - they are beautiful!

Like mentioned before, tankmates with Bettas is hit or miss. Maybe a nice mystery snail would be a good tankmate.

I've kept Ghost Shrimp with my female Betta for quite a while. I know the males are more aggressive but at least Ghost Shrimp aren't insanely expensive.

A snail worked pretty well with my other betta. Maybe I'll go with one. Or two? Will they reproduce if I have two? The guy at the pet store said one snail will reproduce but I think he's loopy.

If you get two mystery snails, you have a chance of getting two of the same sex and you won't have babies, since you need a male and a female to reproduce. I know I have 3 in the same tank and have never had young'uns :)(). Plus, they lay their eggs above water, so if you do get a pair, you can just remove the eggs before they hatch. Keep in mind that they'll poop more than your betta, so keep that water clean.

Good for you for saving him. I feel sorry for them having to live in those cups. My sister works at a wedding chapel and a bride insisted on using bettas as a part of her table centerpieces and then didn't want anything to do with them. My sister took one home and not knowing how to take care of it I adopted it. First I put him in a 10g by himself. Then I moved him to my 55g when I needed the 10 for a nursery. He is happy with all his tank mates including ottos and loaches.

Back
Top Bottom