saved a fish, what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i work in the fish dept of petco.

i keep cleaning these fish out of the feeder minnow/golds tank, dead.

i finaly caught one alive, and saved it (i payed the 12 cent feeder minnow price for it lol)

but what is it????

i know the pic is poor, but it is the best i could get, it says near the top of the tank, and will not go into the light. it have been in my tank 2 weeks now and eats well. tank mates are 2 young angels and 2 swords.

thanks
img_921363_0_1328b1dd7a48298a81a1856a7b10d0b8.jpg

It half looks like a female guppy, but the photographic evidence is inconclusive.

It almost looks like a female mosquito fish. Gambusia affinis. But without a clearer pic, it's hard to say.

I was also going to say Gambusia before I saw Fluff's post. It's true the picture could be less blurry, but the fin shapes that are visible and the black eye band look right (not all have that eye patch). I have 10 in a tank beside me that look just like that. They're easy fish to keep, if not the most attractive. Livebearers and enthusiastically omnivorous. I'd say 12 cents was overpaying, but it depends where you are.

If it is a mosquito fish, very cool. I've never been able to find one, and they're supposed to be very tiny. I read in a book once they are incessant fin nippers, by the way. I don't know whether that's true; I've never seen one in person yet. Still, it's something to look out for.

They aren't really tiny. I keep some in my ponds and they are very hardy fish but the females can get as large as a large female guppy. I've never noticed any fin nipping from them either, but then it's hard to tell in a pond.

Yes, sure is a female Gambusia - presumably either G. affinis or G. holbrooki. (The dark bar below the eye distinguishes Gambusia from a guppy female.) These are very nasty little fish - ask any Australian! They have been introduced to many parts of the world for mosquito control, and have a huge impact on native fish faunas. In many streams in Australia they are the only fish to be found. Many fish biologists refer to them as "Dambusia". In the aquarium they will fin nip other species and hunt down fry. However, in a tank by themselves they are fine - they have nice purplish highlights, and are as tough as nails.

Tony

There are several different species commonly called mosquito fish in the US. Gambusia affinis and Gambusia holbrooki are very similar in appearance to that fish, although an interesting "dalmatian" variation also exists in the wild. This black, white and yellow fish I believe is also G. affinis:

img_921551_0_ceb5f246c9ac6fb9cb746e908c1b9504.jpg

The Least Killifish, Heterandria formosa, is also commonly called a mosquito fish, and is probably the one Johnny Tuttle is referring to. The males barely reach half an inch. The females are larger, but not a whole lot, rarely much over 3/4". They are really pretty fish. This picture doesn't do them justice, but just to see the difference between them:

img_921551_1_4020eb2488d39dbdbad5da1e50827210.jpg

I've never had trouble with them nipping.

Yeah I'd say its a mosiquito fish. It looks just like one espically the mouth. I've had a couple of them myself and i have never noticed any fin nipping. Although the only thing i kept with them was a pleco.

If it is a mosquito fish, very cool. I've never been able to find one, and they're supposed to be very tiny. I read in a book once they are incessant fin nippers, by the way. I don't know whether that's true; I've never seen one in person yet. Still, it's something to look out for.
Fluff is right they are about the size of guppies. Although they are much tougher in my opinion. They were the first livebearing fish i have ever had. And that was good because if it had been a normal fish it would have died. (oh and for finding them. most bait stores sell them although the ones i had i caught in FL in a little puddle right after hurricane katrina).

Both the species I mentioned above live wild in every pond, creek, river and mud puddle in South Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom