saving activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pitdogg2 said:
True but you are comparing apples to oranges....Our AQ are a CLOSED system..Fish in the wild are in a OPEN system.

Dave I do agree it can make it difficult to identify a problem.

I don't get what you guys mean about being difficult to identify a problem. I'm not trying to be an jerk I'm just trying to understand for my own knowledge.

Lifeoffroad said:
What kind of filter? A canister? They have bags for hob filters I'm sure you can get one that's big enough for you canister.

I was the one who mentioned the smell. I just find that my aquarium stays nice and fresh when I use carbon with my regular maintenance.

How many hobbiests do you all know??? Lol.

Can we do polls on this site maybe this deserves a poll.

Well i know hobbiests through clubs, societies, lfs, and family and friends. If is a hob but id Luke to know for canisters as well.

We can do polls on this site but IM not sure how though

Tcal01 said:
Well i know hobbiests through clubs, societies, lfs, and family and friends. If is a hob but id Luke to know for canisters as well.

We can do polls on this site but IM not sure how though

This is why im an advocate for filters. My canister holds the foam it comes with and then nothing but bio media. I have a aquaclear 70 that holds the foam, a fine media, an a bag of carbon I make myself using a mesh bag and a large box of carbon. It's cheap. Then I have an aquaclear 30 that holds foam only unless I need some kind of special media.

I don't get what you guys mean about being difficult to identify a problem. I'm not trying to be an jerk I'm just trying to understand for my own knowledge.

I can help.

Without taking sides on the carbon / no carbon issue, tank odor or discoloration of the water can signal some kind of problem within the tank that requires the attention of the fishkeeper. The argument is that by removing the odors and discolorations, the root cause of the problem might go undetected.

Just as an example, a strong 'fishy' odor can be a sign of excessive dissolved organic compounds which when they decompose can pollute the tank with ammonia, causing a dangerous spike.

The argument is that by removing these odors, the underlying condition, like too many dissolved organic compounds, might go undetected -- continuing to pollute the tank for a longer period of time than it would have had the odor alerted the fishkeeper to the issue.

This is just one possible example out of many, but it is this type of thing that people are pointing to when they say that using carbon can mask a problem going on in the tank.

Again, I think there are pros and cons regarding regular carbon filtration in aquariums -- but that's the essence of the argument as I understand it.

I hope this has helped.

Best!

RussellC said:
I can help.

Without taking sides on the carbon / no carbon issue, tank odor or discoloration of the water can signal some kind of problem within the tank that requires the attention of the fishkeeper. The argument is that by removing the odors and discolorations, the root cause of the problem might go undetected.

Just as an example, a strong 'fishy' odor can be a sign of excessive dissolved organic compounds which when they decompose can pollute the tank with ammonia, causing a dangerous spike.

The argument is that by removing these odors, the underlying condition, like too many dissolved organic compounds, might go undetected -- continuing to pollute the tank for a longer period of time than it would have had the odor alerted the fishkeeper to the issue.

This is just one possible example out of many, but it is this type of thing that people are pointing to when they say that using carbon can mask a problem going on in the tank.

Again, I think there are pros and cons regarding regular carbon filtration in aquariums -- but that's the essence of the argument as I understand it.

I hope this has helped.

Best!

I guess I didn't understand as one can argue if you regularly maintain the tank with weekly pwcs, then you shouldn't have those issues anyway.

Back
Top Bottom