saving activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a fluval c2 and i just took out the activated carbon pouch and put in some biomax just to get some more bb. I hate to throw it away. Is there a way i can save it for when i need it?

I have a fluval c2 and i just took out the activated carbon pouch and put in some biomax just to get some more bb. I hate to throw it away. Is there a way i can save it for when i need it?

You sure can -- assuming it's still 'good'.

The usefulness of carbon degrades over time, so if was in the filter and running more than a week or two, you should probably just toss it, as its effectiveness will already be greatly diminished.

If it's relatively new, however, you certainly can store it for later use. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container. Carbon will absorb things from the air just like it absorbs things from the water -- if not kept in an airtight container, eventually it will absorb things to the point of saturation and become ineffective.

Best!

RussellC said:
You sure can -- assuming it's still 'good'.

The usefulness of carbon degrades over time, so if was in the filter and running more than a week or two, you should probably just toss it, as its effectiveness will already be greatly diminished.

If it's relatively new, however, you certainly can store it for later use. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container. Carbon will absorb things from the air just like it absorbs things from the water -- if not kept in an airtight container, eventually it will absorb things to the point of saturation and become ineffective.

Best!

Oh. Its been in the tank for a little over a month now :/ thanks for the quick response

Tcal01 said:

Make sure you use some carbon in the tank. Its a pretty much must have unless you want your tank to smell like a pond. It has other must have benefits as well

I respectfully disagree. The vast majority of fishkeepers do not use carbon at all.

I respectfully disagree. The vast majority of fishkeepers do not use carbon at all.

If by that you mean that the vast majority of fishkeepers don't because they keep their fish in unfiltered bowls, sadly, you are probably correct. Among more well-educated hobbyists, it might be the majority, but I wouldn't be so sure it's vast.

I'm on the fence, carbon-wise. I think it has its pros and cons, but I do agree that it is neither critical nor necessary (except for medicine removal), so I'd be supportive of any fishkeeper's personal choice, one way or the other.

Carbon will absorb things from the air just like it absorbs things from the water -- if not kept in an airtight container, eventually it will absorb things to the point of saturation and become ineffective

This above statement is untrue Carbon used in air purification is much different the only thing they share is the name Carbon. Carbon used in water purification has much bigger pores that are completely useless in air purification

Completely agree have not used carbon for years at a time. I only use it to remove medication and that does not happen very often.
By the way Russell I do not keep unfiltered bowl's but have a fish room that is well filtered and with weekly water changes my tanks never smell

If by that you mean that the vast majority of fishkeepers don't because they keep their fish in unfiltered bowls, sadly, you are probably correct. Among more well-educated hobbyists, it might be the majority, but I wouldn't be so sure it's vast.

My response was based on the fact that, thinking back on all the threads I've been part of that concerned carbon usage, at least 80% of those who have filtered tanks choose not to use it. There were really only a handful that used it for anything other than to remove meds.

I'm all for personal choice. Whatever floats your boat, as long as the fish are safe.

This above statement is untrue Carbon used in air purification is much different the only thing they share is the name Carbon

I'm willing to learn.

Do you have a source you could share with me?

So far, I've haven't been able to find anything to support this -- no source seems to make a distinction between them, simply referring to all of them as activated carbon. The applications are certainly different, but do you have a source that suggests the substances are materially different?

Thanks.

RussellC said:

I'm on the fence, carbon-wise. I think it has its pros and cons, but I do agree that it is neither critical nor necessary (except for medicine removal), so I'd be supportive of any fishkeeper's personal choice, one way or the other.

I'm not sure you can say the vast. That's a bold statement.

I'm not sure you can say the vast. That's a bold statement.

I think we're digressing.

The OP asked about storing carbon for later use.

As it's been identified that the carbon's been in the filter for more than four weeks, it has already lived its useful life and storing it would be pointless.

And I'll admit I'm as much to blame as anyone on letting this thread drift off topic.

Best!

RussellC said:
Hear hear!!

Exactly, that's why I resommended it.

I'd say there is some added benefit to using it. Especially for first time hobbyiest. Not knowing if this user is a fist time I just thought I'd throw that recommendation out. Didn't think it would start a debate.

Carbon will remove a range of substances from water, including:

Dissolved organic molecules - this is the primary reason to use carbon in most aquaria.

Medications, antibiotics and dyes - this can be useful for removing excess/residual medication, but also means that carbon should be removed when using medications, to avoid removal of the medication during the treatment phase.

Chlorine and chloramine (carbon blocks are often included in RO prefilters to avoid damage to the RO membrane by chlorine and chloramine).

Certain heavy metals - the amounts will depend on factors such as the solubility of the metal at the pH of the specific aquarium.

Take it for what it is.

not to flog a dead horse but carbon use can also make it difficult to identify a problenlm in a tank. basicly its a double sided knife personaly i use it for med removal only and personaly think that hey fish have been getting along with out activated carbon in the wild pritty well so i figure that the trick is just do another water change if ur not sure

RussellC said:
I think we're digressing.

The OP asked about storing carbon for later use.

As it's been identified that the carbon's been in the filter for more than four weeks, it has already lived its useful life and storing it would be pointless.

And I'll admit I'm as much to blame as anyone on letting this thread drift off topic.

Best!

Does this mean that carbon cartridges would have to be changes every four weeks. I was just wondering if i could store it so that if i ever use meds i and had problems i could just plop it in. So does carbon store any BB at all. How would it make it smell like a pond?

Tcal01 said:
Does this mean that carbon cartridges would have to be changes every four weeks. I was just wondering if i could store it so that if i ever use meds i and had problems i could just plop it in. So does carbon store any BB at all. How would it make it smell like a pond?

Like the other users posted as long as you keep up on weekly pwc you're okay. The best thing to do is just buy one new and store it. its fairly cheap.

I'm willing to learn.

Do you have a source you could share with me?

So far, I've haven't been able to find anything to support this -- no source seems to make a distinction between them, simply referring to all of them as activated carbon. The applications are certainly different, but do you have a source that suggests the substances are materially different?

Thanks.

Yep a Marineland scientist explained to me. Step back and just think for a minute, all air purification filters have a very fine carbon dust that is used. Air must flow through it. By your explanation all those carbon filters hanging at the LFS in plastic bags and cardboard packages would already be bad if they could just adsorb from the air. Cardboard for the most part is not air tight and the plastic bags have small pin holes in them. Even if you took them and put them in a tube and blew smoke through guess what? Smoke will come out the other end, if you did the same thing with carbon designed for air little or no smoke will come out. You can leave a jar of carbon open on the shelf for 6mo. and it will still be 100% good. I have used carbon in my tanks for 2-3 days sat in the closet and used it again months later and 99% it will still sizzle the next time it hits the water.

Lifeoffroad said:
Like the other users posted as long as you keep up on weekly pwc you're okay. The best thing to do is just buy one new and store it. its fairly cheap.

Oh i know about pwcs. I was just wondering what he meant by smelling like a pond. The majority of the aquarists that i know don't use carbon either and i just had it in there until i got some biomax. I have seen those big containers of carbon at the lfs though and how does that work? Do they sell little baggies to put it in too or can you just plop it how it IA right into the filter lol

not to flog a dead horse but carbon use can also make it difficult to identify a problenlm in a tank. basicly its a double sided knife personaly i use it for med removal only and personaly think that hey fish have been getting along with out activated carbon in the wild pritty well so i figure that the trick is just do another water change if ur not sure

True but you are comparing apples to oranges....Our AQ are a CLOSED system..Fish in the wild are in a OPEN system.

Dave I do agree it can make it difficult to identify a problem.

Tcal01 said:
Oh i know about pwcs. I was just wondering what he meant by smelling like a pond. The majority of the aquarists that i know don't use carbon either and i just had it in there until i got some biomax. I have seen those big containers of carbon at the lfs though and how does that work? Do they sell little baggies to put it in too or can you just plop it how it IA right into the filter lol

What kind of filter? A canister? They have bags for hob filters I'm sure you can get one that's big enough for you canister.

I was the one who mentioned the smell. I just find that my aquarium stays nice and fresh when I use carbon with my regular maintenance.

How many hobbiests do you all know??? Lol.

Can we do polls on this site maybe this deserves a poll.

Back
Top Bottom