saving for 100 gal. tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am saving for a 100 gal. tank I have seen a tank i like at the LFS with the stand and tank alone it will cost me 329$ plus tax. My question is about how much more money am I going to need to save befor i can set up the tank.

Tess

A good cannister filter, or several good HOB's: $100
2 good 300 watt heaters: $60+
Hood/Glass top: $?
Dechlorinators/Test Kits/Thermometer/etc.: $60+
Substrate: $0-$200

If planted
Lights (depending on results wanted): $150-$600+
CO2: $250
More chemicals (GregWatson.com): $50+

Sailors often say that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into. An aquarium just moves the hole closer to home.

for the most part, src is right on track but for my setup (75g):

Filstar XP3 canister filter (~$95 on bigalsonline.com)
Hydor 300watt inline heater (~$43 on bigalsonline.com)
building my own canopy, so no help there...sorry
test kits - $30 -60
substrate--depending on where you buy it...could be pretty expensive

for plants, you will need to upgrade the lighting system, and that gets pretty costly, as well as add pressurized co2 (again, costly)

would i have to have a Co2 system if i use low light plants, And the tank i am looking at has a hood and lights, Thanks for the replies.

Tess

If you go with low light plants, you won't need CO2. It could help with algae, but you don't necessarily have to have it.

Have you checked in your local classifieds in the newspaper? Or on craigslist.com? You may be able to find a used tank cheaper...that way you could save money for the other stuff. Its just a suggestion though....

dreaming with my Dr. Fosters catalog

Looking at filters and was wondering if one AC powerfilter 110( says it goes up to a 110 gal tank size) for $44.99 would be enough filtration for a 100 gallon tank and would one Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater 300 watt that says it for 55-100 gall. tank be enough or do i need two of each.

Tess 8O :D

Normally, you want a filter that is rated for close to double the tank size, which would mean buying 2 AC110s.

Personally, I'd just go with one Rena XP3 for $100. If you bought two Aquaclears, it would be close to the same price, but with less current. You also wouldn't have to have to look at 2 HOBs all the time. The XP3 is rated for up to a 175g, so its not quite double the tank size, but it will do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom