Scared Betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a ten gallon tank with a betta and 6 neon tetras. I added the betta first, then a few days later, the neons. Fishless cycled the tank, all perimeters are good. Before adding the tetras, the betta was swimming around, happy, and eating well. Now that I've added them, he hides under some drift wood and never comes out. I never see him eat or anything anymore. Kind of scary, since it's been more than a week. Any advice on what I should do?

U better get the tetras out of there if u added your Betta first. That's his home. If he's hiding like that u will lose him from sickness. U can try a bigger tank maybe a 20 gallon, BUT, put the tetras in that tank first and let your Betta be by himself for a few days. Then try adding him to that tank. Or just take the tetras back to the store. Unless you got another tank. Your Betta is showing u a sign of stress! Gotta get him unstressed a.s.a.p.! As soon as u take the others out of that tank your Betta will come out and play, eat, and be happy.

He's a male. I've kept them in the past, and they were perfectly fine together. I'm also pretty sure ten gallons is more than enough to keep them both in. Maybe I'll just return the tetras for now and see if in a few weeks I'll be able to add more.

Update. Got rid of the neons and now he's back to his old self, enjoying the whole tank.

I just did a experiment. I got 4 little Endler guppys. And 2 otocinclus catfish. I took my Betta out of his tank. Put different color gravel in it. A few more little things, rocks and plants. Rearranged his tank. I put the endlers in the tank then the otocinlus catfish. And gave them a min. Then I added my Betta. Everything works. You can try that. I picked small fish because I know my Betta will still have his room he needs. Things work out if it's done a certain way. But when a Betta gets freedom like that. They want to keep it. If you show them a different kinda of freedom that works out too. But putting others in his freedom, it's not his freedom anymore. 6 neons was probably a bit to much for him to handle all at once. Sorry, I was so blunt. But I don't wanta see you loss him. Betta's are gorgeous fish and delicate. Just be careful how you do things with them. I'd give him some time if you wanta try again. Again, I am sorry. Hope you understand.

No apologies needed! I understood where you were coming from. I'm gonna let him have his ten gallon, and eventually just get a bigger tank for different fish in December when I move! I appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom