Scaredy Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sissy58

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all :lol:

Question...I have had 1 rosy barb, 1 cherry barb, 2 guppies and 1 platy for about 4-5 weeks now---just about finished cycling ( :D :D :D -nitrites have really gone down the last couple of days). All of the sudden, the rosy barb has been freaking out, darting and acting like he's scared when you walk up to the tank...up until yesterday all the fish would come running to the front of the tank each time I walked up to it like little beggars wanting to be fed ( not that they got it mind you). I don't undertand why he's done that all a sudden. When he freaks, all the fish freak with him as he has always seemed to be the "leader of the pack". There is 0 ammonia, 2 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. PH is ideal and same with all other test. In fact water quality is at the best it has been since first setting up. Any idea's what's going on? Nothing has changed. Only my husband, myself and daughter. No one window taps, has scared them at anytime to my knowledge. Any help on this one? :?

2 ppm on the nitrites is too high. You want zero nitrites. Nitrite poisoning can occur. Also, are you sure your pH and temperatures are not swinging?

Thanks for the info but as I stated the nitrites are on the down swing-they were higher and he or any of the other fish were not acting this way during the peak and I've done water changes, ph is at 7.2 and the temp is 78 and no swings. When you are not next to the tank (like in the room but not real near the tank) all seems normal. They are playing, active and also when I feed they all come to the top and feed and don't seem scared then. Any other suggestions? In the mornings he doesn't seem that way just around the afternoon and evening; a real mystery.......

IMO all barbs are schooling fish and do much better in groups. Could be the fish has really settled in though. Any activity witnessed outside the tank could be a form of stress to it. Is there room to add another rosy barb?

Brian's right about the schooling...If your tank space allows, I would actually say you should add 5 rosy barbs and 5 cherry barbs...they will be less skittish that way. (you need about 6 for them to really school) How big is your tank?

Thanks again for the advice. I have been planning to get more of each of the barbs are they are alot of fun to watch but I have wanted to get the tank fully cycled first before adding any more fish. My nitrites are down to 1 today and have been decreasing each day. Hopefully it will be cycle soon :lol: :D :D :D . I become so attached to the little things and have lost four since I started the tank. I think three that died was already sick when I bought them as one had ick within a couple of days of purchasing. I haven't gotten anymore from that paticular ifs. I have a 29 gal tank and as soon as it's clear to get more I will. I need also to get an algae eater and I think that I would like to get an otto as they don't get too big and from what I've read will get the job done. Right now I have some brown algae and it seems that the barbs, platy and guppies snack on it which is a good thing :)

Also, am I correct that rosy barbs can get up to 4 inches and cherry barbs up to 2 inches? I don't want to overload and wonder how many I should get once the tank cycles. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how big rosy barbs get...but my adult male cherry barb is only 1 1/2 inches...and very slim...they aren't round bodied. And I'm not an expert on schooling, but if you end up with a total of 6 cherry barbs and only 3 or 4 rosy barbs, the rosy barbs may "school" with the cherry barbs....? I also have otos...they are so FUN to watch! Again...they are happiest in a group of 4 or so....(they don't exactly "school" but they operate as a unit). But it's ok if you only get one oto...
Out of curiousity...is your Platy male or female? :mrgreen:

Thanks smallfry for the input --- My platy is a male ---------I just found out today that my tank has finally
CYCLED!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
My ammonia is 0 my nitrItes are 0 and my nitrAtes are 10-20ppm
WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

I guess that I get to go "fishin" for fish this weekend...Just unsure as to how many to add to my tank as I don't want to overload at this SPECIAL :lol: time.

Any ideas on what would be a good number of the barbs I could get - I know that I would like to get at least one otto . Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Congrats on cycling! According to Baensch, Rosy Barbs can max out at 6 inches.

===================
From Baensch Aquarium Atlas

ROSY BARB:
temp 64-72F
max length: 6"
rec length of tank: 27"
maintenence: "Tank should have a soft bottom with mulm. Plant the edges with hardy plants and provide plenty of swimming room. Water should be soft (to 10 degrees dGH) and slightly acid (pH 6.5)."

CHERRY BARB
temp: 73-79F
max length: 2"
rec. tank length: 20"
maintenence: "A darker tank bottom with mulm, dense vegetation and a cover of floating plants. The fish will seek solitude among the plants. Leave swimming space in the center. Water to 18 degrees dGH and ph 6.5-7.5"

Sissy58 - Just a slight caution...according to the Rosy Barb profile on the liveaquaria website, they can also be semi-agressive toward smaller fish. (probably nothing to worry about with the fish you have, but just to be aware) :wink:
As you probably know, general rule is 1" fish per gallon...but that's a loose rule, and the more experienced you become, the looser it can be...I'm learning that for the happiness of the fishies, it's better to be understocked than overstocked. (you also need to consider the shape as well as length...a 2 in round fish will generate more waste than a 2 in narrow fish...

Here's what I would do if it was me: (measurements have been rounded UP)
29 gallons
Existing Fish: 1 Platy (2 1/2"), 2 Guppies (5" total), 1 Cherry Barb (2"), 1 Rosy Barb (6"). That comes to 15 1/2" (let's say 16")
You have approx. 13" left
My Suggestion: trade in the rosy barb and buy 4 more cherry barbs and 3-4 Otos (they are only 1 1/2" each). The reason I say to trade the rosy barb is because of it's potential size, it's need to school, and it's semi-agressive nature. Also you would be pushing the limits of your tank to have a school (6) of each type of barb...(that's not even including otos). I know this probably isn't what you want to hear... :(
If you are set on keeping the rosy barb, then maybe by 3 more and 4 cherry barbs, but add no other fish. (that is still pushing your tank limits, but with good water quality and regular water changes...it may work)

Back
Top Bottom