Scats and Brackish Buddies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gryph

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I just saw some pictures of scats, and I am dying. I love them. They are beautiful and funky. I must own some. My husband, seeing my obsession budding, has kindly offered that I may acquire another large tank and may put in the scats that I so long for.

Is anyone keeping these? I'd be interested in some first-hand observations. I'd like to find some silver ones and get a shoal of about five. My optimal stocking plan (just based on the little information I can find) would be the shoal of silver scats, maybe a singleton green scat, some fan dance gobies and maybe a puffer (or, if whatever species gets along with each other, a couple puffers). Everywhere I look, gobies and puffers are said to be "ideal tankmates". Anyone have ideas on if this will work?

I'm interested in absorbing anything and everything about these guys. Thanks in advance!

hc8719 said:
there is a fish that looks very similar, in my opinion, better
its called the Leopard Ctenopoma
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1030

dont be intimidated by dr fostersmiths $40 price, petsmart sells them for like $8

personally i think this would be better, because its not brackish

Hm.. I thought this was brackish because I had actually considered one myself but decided against it when I researched and learned that it was brackish. I'd love to hear what people think on this because I still really like this fish.

Excuse my ignorance, I thought all scats were brackish fish too? Or did you mean to say the Leopard Ctenopoma is freshwater?

Brackish water doesn't scare me. In fact, it's part of the allure. I'm used to altering my water chemistry (I keep Tanganyikans, and I keep their water nice and hard), so making certain the salinity stays constant is part of an interesting challenge. Although that leopard Ctenopoma is an awfully pretty fish!

Back
Top Bottom