Schistura beavani?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I picked up two loaches today from my LFS which i believe were mislabelled as 'Zebra loaches'. I've concluded they are in fact Creek Loaches (Schistura beavani), but I'm finding it realllly hard getting any information on them for ideal conditions (temp/pH etc). Does anyone have any info they could share?

Normally I would never buy fish without having researched them first, but since striata loaches are so diverse i figured i was seeing a minor variant of botia striata until the niggling to know for sure got the better of me.

i have read worrying info that suggests they are coldwater (http://www.petresources.net/fish/cyprinid/sch_bea.html). Please tell me this isn't true! I have my tank running at 25c at the minute and the fish are very active - borderline hyperactive even (compared with usual botia activity, tho i know these little guys are not botias now!). Is this normal?

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the reassurances :)
I normally run my tanks at 26-27c, but have this one down at 25 just in case. I figured they could cope with a +1c difference to the 'max' temp I saw listed on that other site, but the one you linked seems way more authoritative.

That's definitely them btw: I was torn between whether they were zipper or creek loaches, but their pattern is very much single striped and matches the creek.

Thanks again!

Edit: pictures here as requested:

Schisturabeavani1.jpg

Schisturabeavani2.jpg

Schisturabeavani3.jpg

Sorry the pictures are so poor quality, it's the best my rubbish camera can handle :(

Hmm, on second thoughts, after looking at them again I wonder if they might be SCHISTURA MAHNERTI (Salween Hillstream Loach) ?

Arrggghhh!

There are different kinds of hillstream loaches. It means they come from fast cool streams.

Maybe someone can give you a more definative answer on the species. It can be hard with loaches because there are many that look similar.

I would monitor closely until you can find out for sure.

Good Luck

None of the Schistura are truly what are called 'Hillstream Loaches' but they are mostly found in moving water (as their elongate, streamlined shape suggests).

There are many species and subspecies of Schistura and many of them are notoriously difficult to identify. Schistura mahnerti is one of the easily confused ones. I have three of what were initially identified as S. mahnerti but which at best I can now identify as Schistura sp.aff. vinciguerre.

Here are a couple of shots of S. sp.aff. vinciguerre:

Smahnerti.jpg

Schistura.jpg

Here's what I've provisionally identified as Schistura bevani:

Sbevani.jpg

All of my Schistura loaches do well under 'tropical' conditions (they're kept with Asian barbs, combtails, climbing perch, etc.) but do seem to particularly enjoy parking themselves in the outflow of the filter. They're voracious eaters of practically anything (though I've never seen them touch any algae or algae wafers) and are quite aggressive and territorial.

Hope this helps a bit,

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom