School project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all! I am doing an E-cyber mission project which is funded by the U.S Army. The winning team wins $10,000 for each team member but that's not what's important to me, what's important is helping the wildlife! My idea is that I will find a way to help a species who's population is declining in rivers around the globe. I'm going to be building a green house with several tanks on racks to house this "certain species" and we (meaning my team and I) will observe them and possibly experiment with them (in a humane and safe way, in other words we will not be using anything toxic or unsafe for the animal) so that we can better understand how to help the species. I was looking into shrimp native to Asia but it might be a bit too difficult for me since I've never had shrimp before. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on the specie I should do! Ideas I had on how to fix the problem include: curing disease that is wiping them out, building artificial houses for them (if the reason is habitat loss), or designing a liquid product that eats up the majority of pollutants in the river in which they live. If you have ideas on what we could do AND the species we should choose, kudos to you! Details about the green house: it will not be insulated so temperatures will get to be around 35°F at the lowest. The highest temperature it could get to where I live is about 105°F. I know these temperatures are not suitable for most fish/inverts so accommodations will have to be made (heaters or cooling devices). This green house is not just going to be for this project as I plan to use it for all my future tanks. My experience level in this hobby: i consider myself a beginner still, however I have experience with goldfish, koi, freshwater clams, snails, bettas, killifish and other native fish. So anything harder than that will most likely not a be an option since there are deadlines and regular progress checks to see how the project is advancing. As far as budget goes, I do not have a budget but at the same time I'm not willing to spend a million dollars on this. If things get too expensive I can find someone to sponsor our project or we can raise money. Space is very limited in this green house so nothing that needs over 20 gallons please. Thank you in advance! Updates on our project will be posted here!

NatureFish
????

There are quite a few live bearers from Mexico that are either extinct in the wild or critically endangered. Many of them would work in a 20g tank.

Have you considered checking the Endangered species lists for fish and/or invert species that are most at risk ? That might be one way to find a species to work on. Perhaps an organization such as World Wildlife Fund might be able to suggest something ?

If you don't care about the money, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. ;)

Haha that's something I would say if roles were reversed! I never said I would take the money, I still want it but I'm more interested in helping animals lol!

NatureFish
????

There are quite a few live bearers from Mexico that are either extinct in the wild or critically endangered. Many of them would work in a 20g tank.

Problem is, critically endangered = critically hard to find.

NatureFish
????

Have you considered checking the Endangered species lists for fish and/or invert species that are most at risk ? That might be one way to find a species to work on. Perhaps an organization such as World Wildlife Fund might be able to suggest something ?

I looked at that but unfortunately I would have to be certified in order to get any endangered species. It's not impossible but I would have to raise a lot of money to pay for a license like that.

NatureFish
????

If you are located along the coast of from Florida to Virginia, there are some Pygmy Sunfish species that are endangered. If you look those up u could probably find some endangered ones.

If you are located along the coast of from Florida to Virginia, there are some Pygmy Sunfish species that are endangered. If you look those up u could probably find some endangered ones.

I'm in Texas so that won't work....hate to veto every idea but I can't do anything endangered unless I have a permit to have that certain species.

NatureFish
????

I was looking more a long the lines of significantly decreased population not they are almost extinct....

NatureFish
????

ah I see. That's all right, I bet doing a little research will help. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on licenses and all that stuff either, so I guess maybe just some other fish I guess? Dwarf Puffers are wild caught, aren't really endangered but they are wild caught because you can't breed them. You could do those.

ah I see. That's all right, I bet doing a little research will help. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on licenses and all that stuff either, so I guess maybe just some other fish I guess? Dwarf Puffers are wild caught, aren't really endangered but they are wild caught because you can't breed them. You could do those.

I actually was going to do dwarf puffers but I ran into a lot of cons about them on the Internet. Keep this in mind: what about when the project is over...what's going to happen to the fish? I need to pick something that I can stick with after the project. I'm not one of those who just gets an animal and then sells it after a few months, oh no not me! I get way too attached to every little creature!

NatureFish
????

What (easy to care for) shrimp are nearly endangered in the wild? I wish I could do one of the colorful shrimp such as RCS but they were selectively bred therefore the project would be slightly off.

NatureFish
????

If you figure out how to breed them, you can make a profit. Some people pay more for tank raised.

Fishobsessed7

How about I list off some natives and someone from the same area that the fish is from can tell me first hand if they've seen them around lately. I think that would be a lot more accurate then some of the things you could find online. Ok how about native killies like American Flagfish? Endlers? Non-endangered Pygmy sunfish? Gobies? Stuff like that. Thanks!

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom