Schoolers with angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
The 2 types I hear most often are cardinal or rummy nose.. Does anyone have experience with others that do good with angels? Obviously I'm trying to avoid fin nippers. Thanks!

I wouldn't get small tetras because in the wild angels eat neons and cardinals, unless the angels stay really small. Maybe platys or glass catfish, something that gets a bit bigger but not too big.

NinjaTetra said:
I wouldn't get small tetras because in the wild angels eat neons and cardinals, unless the angels stay really small. Maybe platys or glass catfish, something that gets a bit bigger but not too big.

I know angels will eat anything that will fit in there mouth. I have dwarf cichlids and some cory cats was hoping to add a top swimmer, just not sure what. I've never even considered platys so I will look into them thanks.

Platies aren't schooling fish, they prefer to have others of the same specimen around but they aren't schoolers. They are also very messy fish and produce masses of babies. Depending on your tank size some deeper bodied tetras which aren't nippers would do good. Lemon tetra?

Samzter said:
Platies aren't schooling fish, they prefer to have others of the same specimen around but they aren't schoolers. They are also very messy fish and produce masses of babies. Depending on your tank size some deeper bodied tetras which aren't nippers would do good. Lemon tetra?

I've always liked the idea of lemon tetras :)

Harlequin rasboras won't bother your angelfish, and full-grown rasboras are too big for the angels to eat them

I have 12 adult angels and keep mostly all small fish. Alot depends on the personality of individual angels and when angels are raised around small fish they tend to totally ignore them. Besides Cardinals and Rummynose, you can use Lemons or Diamond tetras, Harliquen Rasbora, Threadfin Rainbowfish, and Hatchfish are all good schoolers and work well with angels.

It's a 50/50 chance with Skirts and Angels. I've had it go both ways when keeping them with angels.

It's a 50/50 chance with Skirts and Angels. I've had it go both ways when keeping them with angels.

Really? Thats scary. My skirts are my favorite fish along with my yoyos. When i add my angels after my plants have grown in some ill be really upset if they get eaten! I do plan on adding my angels small though. But arent rummys and lemons even smaller than angels

An angel won't eat whatever it can fit in it's mouth and they aren't the monsters many people think they are. I've kept them since the 80's and have rarely had to get rid of angels due to aggression issues towards other fish. I've found on occassion I've had to get rid of large male angels that have high aggression levels and even with them they only would go after fish under 1/2" and mostly smaller. More than not its other fish, nippy fish that bother the angels.

You can actually keep neons and cardinals, I have several neons with my angels and they don't even bat an eye at them, they just can be too mall, like go for .5"+ And it helps if you have your angels with small fish when their young so the dont see them as a food source when their older

Back
Top Bottom