schooling colorful non-fin-nipping fish recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just returned my red serpae tetras as they nipped at my angel far too much. They were VERY colorful though... I need recommendations? I want something that schools but are peaceful and hopefully my angel won't devour.

I currently have in my 29g
1 koi angel
6 pepperer cories.

Black Skirt Tetras
Bleeding Heart Tetra

these fish are peaceful and schooling - so they won't harm your angel.
and
they grow larger than the average tetras - so the angel won't eat them.

what about cardinal tetras? Do you guys think that they will be ok and not get eaten? I know not to get neons, but I've always wanted to keep some cardinals

I actually think cardinal's would be fine. They're larger than neons (which are a no-no unless you're looking for angel snacks). However, cardinals don't seem to transport well so I would only get them if you can find a store that's had them, healthy, for about a week and then be sure to get enough for a school.

blipblop said:
what about cardinal tetras? Do you guys think that they will be ok and not get eaten? I know not to get neons, but I've always wanted to keep some cardinals

I have had a school of 6 neons with a 2+" angel and a 3+" angel in my 72 gal community tank for a year and has been a peaceful coexistence. What are your reasons for not getting neons?

Attachments

• cool_angel_596.jpg
    cool_angel_596.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 51
Neon tetras are the natural prey of angelfish in the wild. In most cases the neons will be eaten by the angels when kept together in an aquarium. I experienced this personally a year or two ago when my neons slowly disappeared until I only had one or two left. I never actually saw the angelfish eat them but there was no other sign of the missing or dead neons in the tank.

that's not a neon - its a zebra danio.
Big difference - they grow much bigger and are very fast swimmers.

The background fish are not Zebra Danios. They are Giant Danios. I didn't have a picture of the angels and neons together because they normally occupy different strata in the tank. Here are some of the neons.

How big were the angels? How big were the neons? Any fish that's too much bigger than another fish will eat it. That's a well known fact.

The below quote from aquariumfish.net says they aren't compatible tank mates, but it's talking mighty big angels. However, I continue to maintain that angel fish that aren't too much bigger than neons are compatible. By the time my angels are even 6" tall, I won't want them in the same tank with neons anyway.

"As Angel Fish grow larger, they become very efficient at stalking and eating small fish like Guppies and Neon Tetras. So they are not compatible tank mates for these fish."

"Size and Life Span
Angel Fish can grow to be 12" tall and probably taller. I have seen Angel Fish with bodies 6" in diameter, but it is unusual for them to grow this big. Angel Fish are known to have lived for at least 10 years, and with exceptionally good care they can probably live even longer. "

not too big, 3-4". and neons at 1.5".
i just mentioned what i saw in my tanks. and what i've heard happen in people's tanks.

it'll be hard to maintain a close tab on the growth of angels. things will go along fine till one fine morning you'll wake up to a few happy angels, and no sign of neons.
i'll give you another example. i recently purchased a small (~3") beat up senegal bichir from my lfs and put it in my 30g. the tank had 7 1.5"-2" platies. since the bichir looked so small and harmless, i thought i still had plenty of time to remove the platies. over the last month the bichir grew stronger and fatter on regular feedings. over the last 2 days, i've lost all the platies but the largest mom.

Back
Top Bottom