schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my wife's school has a 10 gallon tank they want some schooling fish what is cheap and easy to get and how many can she put in also something colourful as its for a kindergarden class

I heard you could put 5 guppies in a 10 gallon tank, zebra danio's, endlers. Also, you can add snails, they're cool also:)

So my wife's school has a 10 gallon tank they want some schooling fish what is cheap and easy to get and how many can she put in also something colourful as its for a kindergarden class

What other fish in the tank? If this will be a completely new stock I recommend doing a group of 3 male guppies with a school of 6 black neon tetras. It will be an easy-upkeep tank. However, if there are other fish I will give different suggestions. Honestly, I'd see if they could get a 20 gallon. Easier to maintain and more possible fish.

I recommend all theses tetras
Phantom
Rummy
Congo
Glow light
Neon
Cardinal

Also these
Guppies
Snails (I recommend mystery)
Shrimps (cherry are great)
Mollies
Plates

To be honest live bearers and tetras will probably be best
New to fish keeping?
Need any other advice?

I'd do a group of Tiger Barbs, kids love them. Easy to keep, very hardy and very interesting social behaviours for kids to observe.

This tank is a newly set up tank filled it today just letting it cycle I'm.not new to fish

Yeah I suggested getting a 20 but they didn't want to spend.any money and this was a donation

I was suggesting neon tetras

I recommend all theses tetras
Phantom
Rummy
Congo
Glow light
Neon
Cardinal

Also these
Guppies
Snails (I recommend mystery)
Shrimps (cherry are great)
Mollies
Plates

To be honest live bearers and tetras will probably be best
New to fish keeping?
Need any other advice?

Mollies do not belong in a 10. Most tetras dont either because of activity level.

This tank is a newly set up tank filled it today just letting it cycle I'm.not new to fish

Yeah I suggested getting a 20 but they didn't want to spend.any money and this was a donation

I was suggesting neon tetras

Okay, since it's kids I'd do ghost or red cherry shrimp and a small school of neons, panda Cories, dwarf Cories, or CPDs in a nemo-themed tank since every kid knows nemo. Cute and colorful.

You could easily get away with 6-8 ember tetras, then a male or female Betta as your flashy centerpiece fish. Embers don't look like much when you see them in stores, but once they settle in, they turn a beautiful red-orange color. They are also pretty easy to keep. You could also add an amano shrimp or two to teach the kids about invertebrates.

Back
Top Bottom