Schooling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRookie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon with about 10 different fish in it. All the fish seem to say "does best in groups of 3" or something. How important is this? Or is this one of those "suggestions" that don't really matter?:fish1:

I have a dalmation molly, bala and iridescent shark, plecostomus, jumbo platy, albino and julli cory, and a gold gourami.

Well, I'm sorry to say that your sharks are too big for a 55 gallon, especially your balls, and as they will not have enough space to swim, they will attack your other fish, as they are aggressive

Gouramis are good by themselves, Molly's do better in pairs than alone, and your Cory's really do need two more

I have a dalmation molly, bala and iridescent shark, plecostomus, jumbo platy, albino and julli cory, and a gold gourami.

Balas get WAY to big and need schools, iridescent sharks are only freshwater at juveniles. They need to be changed over to marine/brackish (maybe im thinking of wrong fish?), plates do good in groups, Cory's need groups of 5+ and gold Gourami/plecos are fine on their own.

Well, I'm sorry to say that your sharks are too big for a 55 gallon, especially your balls, and as they will not have enough space to swim, they will attack your other fish, as they are aggressive
I agree. I would consider re-homing the bala shark as soon as possible as they are big and fast, but will be extremely aggressive the more they age. He will most likely kill you're smaller fish. And they need to be in a group of at least four to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom