schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about starting a new tank - 90gal planted. Ideally, I'd like to do everything right from the start - ferts, substrate and fish. What do you guys suggest as far as interesting community schooling fish like neon tetras or glass catfish, etc.?

You have a lot of choices with a 90gal tank. Interesting school fish...hmm....rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, cories, etc.

I know these aren't schooling fish but for your "show" fish I'd recommend some Angels and Gouramis (Three-spot gourami would be nice) or German Blue/Bolivian rams or Keyhole cichlids.

Maybe a mod could move this to the Freshwater general forum. You might get more responses there.

I second rummies, but you would need an established tank, since they can be picky about water quality. A school of tiger barbs would look good, but they can be fin nippers.

With a tank that size I would go with both rummynose and neon tetras so that you can have schools of both. If you do add angelfish you should not get neon tetras because in the wild they are prey for the angelfish.

I'd say maybe 3 schools, a school of neons, harlequen rasboras, and hengali rasboras. Would look nice. And maybe instead of angels, use German or Bolivian Rams.

Lonewolfblue said:
I'd say maybe 3 schools, a school of neons, harlequen rasboras, and hengali rasboras. Would look nice. And maybe instead of angels, use German or Bolivian Rams.

Ive got 8 neon tetras and 6 rummy nose tetras....they dont seem to school in groups though, its kind of like a mish mash of tetras. I dont know if there is anything I have done wrong, like is there a way to encourage them to chool together?

i second harlequin's or if you like neon's my preference is cardinal tetras... bigger, brighter, more colourful IMO... i'm actually in the process of setting up a angel fish & cardinal tank at the mo...

rams are lovely fish, but do stay very much towards the bottom of the tank ime so you might like something a little more active for the upper regions...

Back
Top Bottom